Magic: The Gathering Pro Tour - Yokohama Qualifier
March 29-30, 2003
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is an international circuit of large-scale Qualifier tournaments featuring cash prizes and multiple invitations to Pro Tour events.
TOURNAMENT FORMAT AND SCHEDULE
The format for Grand Prix – Kyoto is Limited (Sealed Deck + Booster Draft). All DCI™ Limited rules and Magic® Floor Rules announced on October 1, 2002, along with all subsequent updates, will be enforced.
- Friday, March 28: Registration from 15:00 - 22:00. LATE REGISTRATION IS NOT PERMITTED. If you have preregistered for the event and cannot register by Friday night, contact Ron Foster via email (information below) no later than March 27.
- Saturday, March 29: Tournament begins at 9:00. The Top 64 players advance to the finals on Sunday. (In the event Grand Prix Kyoto has more than 1,000 players, the Top 128 players will advance to Day 2.)
- Sunday, March 30: Play begins at 8:30.
Pulse Plaza (Kyoto-fu Sougou Mihon-shi Kaikan)
5 Takeda Tobadono-chou, Fushimi-ku
ACCESS TO PULSE PLAZA
15-minute walk from Takeda station on Karasuma municipal subway line/Kintetsu train line
TOURNAMENT PREREGISTRATION AND PLAYER CONTACT
Pre-register by March 7 online at www.hobbyjapan.co.jp/magic/event/register/index.html.
Contact for Non-Japanese Players
Ron Foster, Japan Territory Manager
Phone: (425) 917-6182
The main tournament at Grand Prix - Kyoto is open to Magic players of all ages.
If the player who wins an invitation to Pro Tour – Yokohama at Grand Prix – Kyoto has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation shall be extended to the next-best finisher. Previous qualification may occur through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid on the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
The format for Grand Prix – Kyoto is Limited, with both Sealed Deck and Booster Draft. All DCI Limited rules and Magic Floor Rules announced on October 1, 2002, along with all subsequent updates, will be enforced.
For the latest information on Limited formats, refer to the 2002 Floor Rules or www.wizards.com/dci/judge/main.asp?x=judge/resources/sfr_extended
The structure for Grand Prix – Kyoto is modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds, with the number of rounds determined by the number of participants), with the Top 64 players advancing to the Sunday finals for prizes and invitations. (In the event Grand Prix – Kyoto has more than 1,000 participants, the Top 128 players will advance to Sunday.) The first day of competition will consist of Sealed Deck. On Day 2, there will be a booster draft and 3 Swiss rounds of competition, followed by another draft with 3 addition Swiss round, to determine the Top 8 players, who will compete in single elimination after another draft.
Tournament Byes (Byes are not cumulative through the season or year.)
Byes for Grand Prix—Kyoto are based on the Pro Tour—Houston 2002 professional standings and DCI ratings as of December 18, 2002. Please refer to the Grand Prix Kyoto Bye List for details.
Ryou Suzuoki (Level 3/Japan)
Grand Prix - Kyoto features the standard main tournament prize schedule, including the Amateur Award prize schedule. The Amateur prizes will be paid to the highest-finishing amateur players in addition to any winnings those players receive from the main tournament prize schedule. All prizes are in U.S. Dollars.
|Main Tournament Prize Schedule|
|Amateur Division Prize Schedule|
- Grand Prix – Kyoto Trial
- Pro Tour – Yokohama Qualifiers
- Eight-person, on-demand tournaments
- Artist signings
GRAND PRIX – KYOTO TRIAL TOURNAMENT
- When: March 28 (Friday)
- Entry Fee: ¥ 3,000
- Format: Sealed Deck with Top 8 Booster Draft
- Registration from 10:30 - 11:00.
PRO TOUR – YOKOHAMA QUALIFIER TOURNAMENTS
- When: March 30 (Sunday)
- Entry Fee: ¥ 4,000
- Format: Sealed Deck with Top 8 Booster Draft
- Registration: Saturday, March 29 from 17:30. NOTE: There will be 4 1-slot Qualifiers held simultaneously on Sunday. Sign-ups will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis for each tournament. Based on space availability, one or more events may be delayed or cancelled.
EIGHT-PERSON ON-DEMAND TOURNAMENTS
- Standard, Extended: ¥ 500
- Booster Draft: ¥ 1,000
- Sealed Deck: ¥ 2,000
MAGIC ARTIST SPECIAL GUEST
NOTE: The following hotels are not endorsed by or affiliated with Wizards of the Coast. The hotels on this list are taken from guidebooks and provided here for your convenience only.
Palsis Inn Kyoto
45 Shimo-toba Serikawa-chou
Single rooms from ¥7,450
Urban Hotel Kyoto
4-59 Fukakusa Nishiura-chou
Single rooms from ¥6,800
Jek Hotel Kyoto
46 Shimo-toba Serikawa-chou
Single rooms from ¥ 6,800
GRAND PRIX - KYOTO AREA MAP