Magic: The Gathering Pro Tour - Houston Qualifier
August 24-25, 2002
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is an international circuit of large-scale Qualifier tournaments featuring cash prizes and multiple invitations to Pro Tour events.
TOURNAMENT FORMAT AND SCHEDULE
The format for Grand Prix - Sapporo is Odyssey Block Constructed. All DCI rules and Magic Floor Rules announced on October 1, 2001, along with all subsequent updates, will be enforced.
For the latest edition of the DCI and Magic Floor Rules, please refer to the DCI Rules web site.
- Friday, August 23: Registration from 15:00 - 21:00. All teams must register by 21:00 Friday night. LATE REGISTRATION WILL NOT BE ALLOWED. Teams that cannot meet this deadline should contact the organizer at the mail address listed below no later than August 22.
- Saturday, August 24: Tournament begins at 09:00. The Top 64 players advance to the finals on Sunday.
- Sunday, August 25: Finals begin at 08:30.
Sapporo Factory Ichijou-kan (No. 1 Hall)
Kita-2 Higashi-4, Chuuou-ku
ACCESS TO SAPPORO FACTORY
- 12-minute walk from JR Sapporo Station
- 5-minute walk from Touzai Line subway Bus Center-mae station
TOURNAMENT PREREGISTRATION AND PLAYER CONTACT
Pre-register by Friday, August 9
Hobby Japan Magic: The Gathering Tournament Center
Contact for Non-Japanese Players
Ron Foster, Territory Manager, Japan
Phone: (425) 917-6182
The main tournament at Grand Prix - Sapporo is open to Magic players of all ages.
If a player that wins an invitation to Pro Tour - Houston at Grand Prix - Sapporo is already qualified for an invitation, the invitation shall be extended to the next-best finisher. Previous qualification may occur through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid on the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
The structure for Grand Prix - Sapporo is modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds, with the number of rounds determined by the number of participants), with the Top 64 players advancing to the Sunday finals for prizes and invitations.
Tournament Byes (Byes are not cumulative through the season or year.)
Byes for Grand Prix - Sapporo are based on the Pro Tour - Nice 2002 professional standings and DCI ratings as of June 19, 2002. Please refer to the Grand Prix - Sapporo Bye List for details.
Akio Sugaya (Level 3, Japan)
Grand Prix - Sapporo features the standard main tournament prize schedule, including the Amateur Award prize schedule. The Amateur prizes will be paid to the highest-finishing amateur players in addition to any winnings those players receive from the main tournament prize schedule. All prizes are in U.S. Dollars.
|Main Tournament Prize Schedule|
|Amateur Division Prize Schedule|
- Grand Prix - Sapporo Trial
- Grand Prix - Utsunomiya Trial
- Pro Tour - Houston Qualifier
- Eight-person, on-demand tournaments
- Artist signings
- Magic: The Gathering Trading Space
GRAND PRIX - SAPPORO TRIAL TOURNAMENT
- When: August 23 (Friday)
- Entry Fee: ¥ 1,000
- Format: Odyssey Constructed with Top 8 Playoff
- Registration from 10:00 - 10:30
- The winner of the Trial will be awarded a 3-round bye for GP Sapporo
GRAND PRIX - UTSUNOMIYA TRIAL TOURNAMENT
- When: August 25 (Sunday)
- Entry Fee: ¥ 3,000
- Format: Odyssey Block Sealed Deck with Top 8 Rochester Draft
- Registration begins at 17:00 on Saturday and continues until end of day. NOTE: Participation in the trial is limited to 128 players.
- The winner of the Trial will be awarded a 3-round bye for GP Utsunomiya
PRO TOUR HOUSTON QUALIFIER
- When: August 25 (Sunday)
- Entry Fee: ¥ 2,000
- Format: Odyssey Block Constructed with Top 8 Playoff
- Number of Invitations: 2
- Registration begins at 17:00 on Saturday and continues until end of day. NOTE: Participation in the qualifier is limited to 226 players.
EIGHT-PERSON ON-DEMAND TOURNAMENTS
- Standard, Extended: ¥ 500
- Booster Draft: ¥ 1,000
- Sealed Deck: ¥ 2,000
MAGIC: THE GATHERING TRADING SPACE
Dealer space is available through pre-registration for consecutive use on August 23-25. To register for a booth, please write your name, your phone number and the requested number of booths and apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "GP-Sapporo Card Dealer" no later than August 9. (Note: Dealers are requested to refrain from selling items other than single Magic cards.)
MAGIC ARTIST SPECIAL GUEST
NOTE: The following hotels are not endorsed by or affiliated with Wizards of the Coast. The hotels on this list are taken from guidebooks and provided here for your convenience only.
Hotel Clubby Sapporo
Single rooms from ¥ 13,000
Sapporo Sumire Hotel
Single rooms from ¥ 11,000
Hokke Club Sapporo
Single rooms from ¥ 5,300
GRAND PRIX - SAPPORO AREA MAP