Magic: The Gathering Pro Tour - New Orleans Qualifier
March 29-30, 2003
The format for Grand Prix – Yokohama is Onslaught™ Block Constructed. All DCI™ Constructed rules and Magic® Floor Rules announced on October 1, 2002, along with all subsequent updates, will be enforced.
TOURNAMENT FORMAT AND SCHEDULE
The format for Grand Prix – Kyoto is Limited (Sealed Deck + Booster Draft). All DCI™ Limited rules and Magic® Floor Rules announced on October 1, 2002, along with all subsequent updates, will be enforced.
- Thursday, August 21: Registration from 15:00 - 22:00. LATE REGISTRATION IS NOT PERMITTED. If you have preregistered for the event and cannot register by Thursday night, contact Ron Foster via email (information below) no later than August 20.
- Friday, August 22: Tournament begins at 9:00. Participants will play a number of Swiss rounds determined by the number of participants.
- Saturday, August 23: Tournament begins at 9:00. The Top 256 players from Day 1 will play an addition 8 rounds of Swiss.
- Sunday, August 24: Play begins at 9:00. The Top 8 players from Day 2 will play 3 rounds of single-elimination competition to determine the Grand Prix – Yokohama champion.
1-1-1 Minato Mirai, Nishi-ku
ACCESS TO PACIFICO YOKOHAMA
- 12-minute walk from Sakuragi-chou station on Tokyuu Touyoko line, JR Keihin-touhoku line, or Yokohama Municipal Subway
- 10-minute taxi ride from Yokohama station
TOURNAMENT PREREGISTRATION AND PLAYER CONTACT
You can pre-register by August 11 online.
Contact for Non-Japanese Players
Ron Foster, Japan Organized Play Manager
Phone (until 8/11): (425) 917-6182
Phone (from 8/18): +81-3-5326-3102
The main tournament at Grand Prix - Yokohama is open to Magic players of all ages.
If the player who wins an invitation to Pro Tour – New Orleans at Grand Prix – Yokohama has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation shall be extended to the next-best finisher. Previous qualification may occur through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid on the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
The format for Grand Prix – Yokohama is Onslaught Block Constructed. All DCI Constructed rules and Magic Floor Rules announced on October 1, 2002, along with all subsequent updates, will be enforced.
For the latest information on Constructed formats, refer to the 2002 Floor Rules.
The structure for Grand Prix – Yokohama is modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds, with the number of rounds determined by the number of participants). The Top 256 placing players on Day 1 will advance to Day 2, where they will play an additional 8 rounds of Swiss using the same decks. The Top 8 players from Day 2 will compete in 3 rounds of single-elimination on Day 3 in order to decide the Grand Prix – Yokohama Champion.
Tournament Byes (Byes are not cumulative through the season or year.)
Byes for Grand Prix – Yokohama are based on the Pro Tour—Yokohama 2003 professional standings and DCI ratings as of June 18, 2003. Please refer to the Grand Prix Yokohama Bye List for details.
Masayuki Kunimitsu (Level 3/Japan)
Grand Prix - Yokohama features the standard main tournament prize schedule, including the Amateur Award prize schedule.
|Main Tournament Prize Schedule|
|Amateur Division Prize Schedule|
- Pro Tour – New Orleans Qualifier
- Eight-person, on-demand tournaments
- R&D Gunslinging/Talk Show
- Special Appearance by Richard Garfield
- Artist signings
- Magic® 10th Anniversary Celebration
PRO TOUR – NEW ORLEANS QUALIFIER TOURNAMENTS
- When: August 23 (Saturday)
- Entry Fee: ¥ 2,000
- Format: Onslaught Constructed Deck
- Registration: Friday, August 22 from 17:30. NOTE: The qualifier offers two invitations to Pro Tour – New Orleans. Sign-ups will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis for the tournament, which has a maximum of 226 players dues to space limitations.
EIGHT-PERSON ON-DEMAND TOURNAMENTS
- Standard, Extended: ¥ 500
- Booster Draft: ¥ 1,000
- Sealed Deck: ¥ 2,000
R&D GUNSLINGING/TALK SHOW
- R&D member and Senior Magic® Developer Randy Buehler will be attending as part of the 10th Anniversary Celebration. Test your playing skills against the Pro Tour – Chicago 99 Champion and win prizes! Randy will also be hosting a quiz show throughout the weekend—test your knowledge of Magic® trivia against the best R&D has to offer!
SPECIAL APPEARANCE BY RICHARD GARFIELD
- Meet the man who started it all! The father of Magic® Richard Garfield will be at Yokohama, gunslinging and assisting Randy with the quiz show.
MAGIC ARTIST SPECIAL GUESTS
NOTE: The following hotels are not endorsed by or affiliated with Wizards of the Coast. The hotels on this list are taken from guidebooks and provided here for your convenience only.
Yokohama Plaza Hotel
2-12-12 Takashima, Nishi-ku
Single rooms from ¥8,900
Touyoko Inn Yokohama Kannai
1-10-5 Magane-chou. Minami-ku
Single rooms from ¥6,500
Hotel Cosmo Yokohama
2-9-1 Kita-saiwai, Nishi-ku
Single rooms from ¥ 8,500