At this time the DCI Judge Certification Program would like to offer sponsorship opportunities to a number of judges for our 2004 World Championship event. We are looking for hardworking judges who would like an opportunity to gain experience working with some of the best players and judges in the world. We are especially looking for Expert Judges to attend this event. Working at an event like Worlds is also a great way to gain the experience needed to advance within the DCI Judge Certification Program.
The sponsorship application window for 2004 World Championship begins on June 23rd, and will close at on Wednesday July 7th, 2004.
If you wish to apply for sponsorship for Worlds 2004, you must email the DCI Judge Certification Program at email@example.com. Please use "World Sponsorship" in the subject line. Here is some useful information:
- Sponsored judges will be provided a shared hotel room from August 30th or 31st and departing September 6th, 2004.
- You may be provided a flight or travel reimbursement to San Francisco. Those who do not require sponsorship for their travel are more likely to be accepted.
- Mandatory judge meeting is at 8 AM Wednesday, September 1st, at the main event stage.
- Your work schedule may include assignments other than the main event, and you will need to be available at the mandatory judge meeting and to work on Sunday September 5th.
- There are no meals provided but a nominal daily stipend will be paid during the days of the event for snacks and beverages. (This stipend may take the form of vouchers that can be used at onsite concessions.)
- Dress code includes black and white striped DCI judge polo shirts, black slacks and black shoes. Judge polos may be purchased onsite for US$30. They may also be rented for that cost to those who do not wish to purchase a shirt for full reimbursement upon return of the shirt on Sunday. If you will be purchasing a shirt, please include this information in your request, along with your shirt size request.
- Please include any emergency contact information or drug allergies with your sponsorship application.
(If you are only requesting a room, you have a slightly better chance of being accepted, please specify in your email.)
Here are the requirements:
- Must be a DCI Certified Judge, Level 2 or higher.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Willing to work from 8AM Wednesday until Sunday evening.
- Able to judge long hours with little sleep and few breaks. Days usually are 12 hours.
- Able to lift heavy objects and perform other physically demanding jobs relating to tournament setup.
- Fluent or near fluent in English.
- Highly proficient with current Magic rules.
- Willing and able to assist the event staff as required with additional duties, which may include registration, table clothes, floor maintenance, radio check-in/out, etc…
- Must be able to respond to emails within 48 hours with regards to travel arrangements.
Here is what we need in your email:
Please send your sponsorship request to the DCI Judge Certification Program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your name.
- Your DCI number.
- Your judge certification level.
- Do you wish to test for advancement? (limited availability)
- The day (Monday or Tuesday) you are able to travel.
- Your email address.
- Your shirt size and if you will be needing to purchase or rent a judge polo.
- Your date of birth.
- Your complete mailing address and phone number.
- Last Pro Tour, Worlds, Nationals, Grand Prix event you worked.
- A list of languages you speak fluently or near fluently.
- Emergency contact information and drug allergies.
- Any special requirements you have.
What is expected?
- You will bring four days worth of judging attire, including a DCI judge polo, black pants and black shoes. Judge shirts are available for purchase (limited sizes) or can be borrowed with $30 deposit.
- You will judge the main event or side events (depending on staffing requirements) Wednesday through Sunday. This will require very long days with almost no breaks.
- You will prepare for the event thoroughly by reviewing all available rules, procedures and policies.
What is NOT paid for (partial list of common assumptions)?
- Food (Each judge will receive snack/lunch funds for judging).
- Taxi fares, bus fares, etc.
- Additional room costs (room service, movies, laundry, etc).
- Ticket change fees (if you change your ticket, you pay all related fees).
- You will be sharing a hotel room with another judge.
- Spouses, friends, volunteers, players, significant others are not permitted.
- Your hotel will be paid for starting the day before the event and last until the day after the event. If you wish to stay longer or arrive earlier, you must arrange for this yourself.
- There is limited availability to conduct judge testing. Judges intending to take an advancement test please note this in their application. Due to limited time and staff, not all candidates wishing to be tested may always be tested. In some cases candidate requesting testing may be passed over for sponsorship due to this limit.
- This is not like a vacation, this is like work. It can be very rewarding and valuable, but it is hard work.
- If you are not chosen, don't take it personally. Only a limited number of judges are required for each event, but your chance will come.
Please send your sponsorship request to the DCI Judge Certification Program at email@example.com. The deadline to apply is Wednesday July 7th, 2004.