At this time the DCI Judge Certification Program would like to hear from Judges interested in working at Magic Weekend/U.S. Nationals, Chicago (including side-events or as a volunteer). We have a number of sponsorship opportunities to a number of Judges for Magic Weekend/U.S. Nationals, Chicago 2008 held July 31st through August 3rd. We will also be having a North American Judge conference on Thursday July 31st.
We are looking for hardworking Judges who would like an opportunity to gain experience working with some of the best players and Judges in the world. Working at an event like this is also a great way to gain the experience needed to advance within the DCI Judge Certification Program. It's also a chance to see other areas and make friends who share your interests.
The sponsorship application window begins on Friday, May 16th and will close Friday May 30th, 2008.
If you wish to apply for sponsorship for this event, you must email the DCI Judge Certification Program via Bryan Zembruski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use "Magic Weekend/U.S. Nationals Judge application" in the subject line.
Here is what we need in your email:
- Your name and DCI Number
- Level of sponsorship you are requesting; Full, Partial (travel or room only) or Volunteer.
- Do you wish to test for Level 3? (limited availability) Include the name and email of the Level 3+ Judge who mentors you. Contact this person to have them send your level three evaluation to email@example.com before June 2nd.
- A list of languages you speak fluently or near fluently.
- Days you will be available to work (sponsorship requires the entire show, but we would also like to know if you will be able to attend the Judge Conference on Thursday July 31st)
- Any special requirements you have.
Here is some useful information:
- Full and Room-only sponsored Judges will be provided a shared hotel room from July 30th and departing on Monday August 4th, 2008.
- If you are planning on rooming with a non-sponsored Judge, friend, wife, significant other, etc… you may not apply for Full or Room sponsorship.
- Mandatory Judge meeting is at 7:45 AM Friday at the main event stage.
- Your work schedule will likely include assignments other than the main events, and you will need to be available at the mandatory Judge meeting and to work on Sunday until 10PM in the evening.
- Volunteers may be any certification level or those seeking certification.
- It is highly likely you will rotate between the main event and side-events.
- There will either be lunch provided or a nominal daily stipend will be paid during the days of the event for snacks and beverages. (This stipend may take the form of vouchers that can be used at onsite concessions.)
- Dress code includes black and white striped DCI Judge polo shirts, black slacks and black shoes. One Judge polo will be provided upon request while supplies last.
(If you are requesting a room-only or travel-only sponsorship level, you have a slightly better chance of being accepted, please specify in your email.)
Here are the requirements:
Able to work 7:45AM Thursday until Sunday 10PM evening, otherwise please try another event.
- Have up-to-date contact information with the DCI
- Must be 18 years of age or older for sponsorship. Under 18 can volunteer.
- Able to Judge long hours with little sleep and few breaks. Days usually are 10-12 hours.
- Able to perform physically demanding jobs relating to tournament setup.
- Fluent in English enough to operate at a Magic Tournament.
- Highly proficient with current Magic rules and current with DCI policies.
- Willing and able to assist the event staff as required with additional duties, which may include registration, folding table clothes, floor maintenance, radio check-in/out, etc…
- Must be able to respond to emails within 72 hours with regards to travel arrangements and schedule.
- Will be required to submit reviews on fellow Judges after the event.
What is expected?
- You will bring four days worth of judging attire, including a DCI Judge polo, black pants and black shoes. A Judge shirt will be made available upon request while supplies last.
- You will Judge the main event and/or side events (depending on staffing requirements) Thursday 7:45AM through Sunday evening. This will require very long days with almost no breaks. Some schedules may include side-events work past midnight and perhaps 3AM.
- You will prepare for the event thoroughly by reviewing all available rules, procedures and policies and responding to the organizers as required within 72 hours.
What is NOT paid for (partial list of common assumptions)?
- Food (Each Judge will receive snack/lunch funds for judging or this will be provided).
- Taxi fares, bus fares, train fares, etc....
- Additional room costs (room service, movies, laundry, etc).
- Ticket change fees (if you change your ticket, you pay all related fees).
- You will be sharing a hotel room with at least one other Judge.
- Additional guests including; other Judges, spouses, friends, volunteers, players, and significant others are not permitted to stay with you.
- Your hotel will be paid for starting the day before the event and last until the day of the event. If you wish to stay longer or arrive earlier, you must make these arrangements for yourself.
Here is Hotel information for anyone interested in volunteering:
The Hyatt Regency McCormick Place has a special room rate for people attending Magic Weekend:
- Single Occupancy: $149
- Double Occupancy $149
- Triple Occupancy $159
- Quad Occupancy $169
Room rates are quoted exclusive of applicable state and local taxes (which are currently 15.4%) or applicable service, or hotel specific fees in effect at the Hotel at the time of the meeting.
In order to secure this rate, players must call the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place Reservation Department at +1-800-233-1234. You can also visit the Hyatt Regency web site
- There is limited availability to conduct level three Judge testing. Judges intending to take an advancement test please note this in their application along with the recommending Judge’s information. Due to limited time and staff, not all candidates wishing to be tested may always be tested. In some cases candidates requesting testing may be passed over for sponsorship due to this limit.
- This is not like a vacation, this is like work. It can be very rewarding and valuable, but it is hard work.
- If you are not chosen, don't take it personally. Only a limited number of Judges are required for each event, but your chance will come.
Please send your sponsorship request to the DCI Judge Certification Program at firstname.lastname@example.org with "Magic Weekend/U.S. Nationals Judge application" in the subject. The deadline to apply is Friday May 30th, 2008.