During the holiday rerun weeks, we are presenting some of the year's most popular Arcana articles. It was a challenge to narrow down to just ten, so we hope you enjoy this look back into 2013!
he journey for a card from concept to final card is fraught with peril. Many cards never make it out of design, and those that do make it undergo intense trial and experimentation during the development of the set. And then, even as they are being tweaked by the numbers, they gain ongoing creative tweaks as the name is finalized and the art is commissioned.
In today's Arcana I'm going to give you a playtest name of a current Theros card and you guess what card we're talking about.
1. This card was shaped by the playtest name "Passing Sneakiness." What was it?
2. This combat trick was at one time "Phalanx Formation." What was it?
3. This black creature was called the "Carnivorous Horse." What was it?
4. This defier of gods was once called "Very Angry Cyclops." What was it?
5. These party animals were once called "Frenzied Satyrs." What was it?
Patrick "Trick" Jarrett is the editor-in-chief of DailyMTG.com as well as working deeply on other web projects for Magic. He's an ardent Commander player with a beloved Kiki-Jiki Commander deck he's always eager to play with new people.