Claim your place among Magic’s greatest gladiators as they do battle at the 2009 Worlds in Rome! Test your mettle in the Magic Online 2009 Championship Series and see if you have what it takes to earn 1 of 8 slots in the 2009 Magic Online Championship held November 19-22 on location in Rome, Italy.
- All Magic Online players who meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein are eligible to compete in this online tournament series. All Magic Online players are eligible to compete in the 2009 Magic Online Championship Series except (a) players who are otherwise ineligible to engage in tournament play pursuant to the Magic Online User Agreement and (b) employees or contractors of Wizards of the Coast LLC, Hasbro or each of their respective subsidiaries or affiliates or their advertising or promotion agencies, or those who are domiciled with any such person, or those who have been disqualified for other reasons (see below). This is a skill-based tournament based on a player's ability to defeat other players.
- Players will be disqualified if they are banned from the game for any reason, including without limitation a violation of the Magic Online User Agreement.
- Although players may have multiple accounts qualified for a championship or championship event, players are not permitted to have more than 1 of their accounts entered in the event. Players are not permitted to have secondary accounts played by another person. If a player is discovered to have more than 1 account playing in a championship or championships before, during, or after the event, appropriate penalties will be applied (including disqualification from the event with no refund of product or event tickets).
- Playing on another person's account, selling your account, etc. are all violations of the Terms of Service. If you play in these championships, win, and expect to get your prize, be very, very sure you are on your own account. We do not recognize "I and a friend jointly own the account," "It's my brother's account but he gave it to me," or similar. The only exception is an adult may authorize a single dependent child age 13-18 to play on an account that adult has purchased.
- Wizards of the Coast reserves the right to reschedule and/or restart games and matches as needed. Such decisions will be announced on magicthegathering.com.
To be eligible to participate in a month-end championship, the following requirements must be met:
- All Magic Online players must be at least 13 or older. A championship player between the ages of 13 and 18 will be required to get a parent or guardian's signature on the required waiver and consent forms as explained below. In addition, the player must have Internet access as well as access to a personal computer.
- There are seven seasons in the 2009 Magic Online Championship series. Each season consists of a number of called out tournaments (queues, daily, and premier events) that will offer the opportunity to earn Qualifier points (QPs). Each season will end during the last weekly downtime prior to its championship. The actual start and end dates are in the schedule below.
- At the end of each specified tournament, all participants may earn qualifier points (QPs) based upon their final rank in the tournament.
- At the end of each season, all players who have earned sufficient QPs are invited to participate in the appropriate end-of-season championship.
- Due to the nature of computers and the Internet, Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the results of any disconnection or network problems experienced by players.
- In addition to the normal prizes for specified tournaments, high finishing players earn qualifier points (QPs) based on the following schedule:
- The winner of any 8-player queue (Constructed, Draft, or Sealed) earns 1 QP
- 8-player constructed queues will be added for appropriate seasons.
- Finishing in the top 8 of any scheduled Daily or Premier Event earn 3 QPs
- In addition different tournaments or formats may be called out and offer increased amounts of QPs each month. This QP schedule will be announced a minimum of 1 week prior to the start of a season.
- Championships are open only to players who earned sufficient QPs in the current season.
- A season ends and each player's QPs are reset to zero during the last scheduled downtime before a season championship.
- All events that start after this downtime will offer QPs towards the next month's championship.
- A player must have earned at least 15 QPs during the season to be eligible for the season championship.
- A list of all players that have qualified for a season ending championship will be maintained on the Wizards of the Coast web site. Players will be registered into that season's championship after the season has ended during the last scheduled downtime before the event. A list of all qualified players will also be posted online.
- It will be the player's responsibility to make sure that they have been properly entered into this event and are able to join it PRIOR to the start of the championship. If a player is qualified and is unable to join the championship, they will need to contact customer service to get this corrected.
Season Championship matches take place during the weekend after the end of a season as scheduled below.
||8:00 AM PST
||1:00 PM PST
||ALA Block Constructed
||Figure of Destiny
||6:00 PM PST
||Alara Block Sealed
||11:00 PM PST
||4:00 AM PST
||Doran, the Siege Tower
||9:00 AM PST
||Masters Edition 3 Sealed
||2:00 PM PST
START TIME: As posted in schedule above
LOCATION: Premier Events
FORMAT: As posted in schedule above
ADMISSION: FREE – No Tix, No Product for limited, Invitation only
PRIZE SUPPORT: Prizes paid as follows:
The winner of each Season Championship will receive an invitation to compete in the 2009 Magic Online Championship. In addition, these 8 players will also receive an invitation to participate in the 2009 Magic the Gathering World Championship as well.
All who participate in the Season Championship will get a copy of the announced promo card. Top 32 will also receive a foil copy of the announced promo card.
In the event that a season winner is determined to be ineligible to participate or has previously won a season championship and an invitation to the 2009 Magic Online Championship, then the invitation will pass down to the next highest finishing eligible player. No other prizes will be passed down in this manner.
The winner of each season championship will be contacted by email within one week in order to collect their name and mailing addresses.
If you win a season championship and have not heard from Wizards of the Coast after one week has passed, please email Michael.Gills@wizards.com so that we can send you details about the 2009 Magic Online Championship.
2009 Magic Online Championship
INVITATIONS: Invitations to the 2009 Magic Online Championship are awarded in the following manner:
- The Winner of each of the 7 Season Championships of the 2009 Magic Online Championship Series*
- The 2009 Magic Online Player of the Year.**
*In the event that one of the Season Champions has already received an invitation, then the invitation to the 2009 Magic Online Championship will pass down to the next place eligible finisher in that Season’s Championship
**In the event that the 2009 Magic Online Player of the Year has already received an invitation then that invitation will pass down to the next place eligible finisher in the 2009 Magic Online Player of the Year
START TIME: TBA. This event will be scheduled around the 2009 Magic: the Gathering World Championships (“Worlds”) so that registered players will be able to compete in both events.
LOCATION: Players will compete live at Worlds in Rome, Italy
FORMAT: Multiple formats. Each format will consist of an 8-player 3-round Swiss tournament.
- Classic Constructed - Thurs Nov 19 (starts 1/2 hour after end of Worlds)
Zendikar Booster Draft - Fri Nov 20 (starts 1/2 hour after end of Worlds)
- Standard Constructed - Sat Nov 21 (starts 1/2 hour after end of Worlds)
Each tournament will be paired as an individual event – the first round of each tournament will be paired randomly.
Participants will play on the Magic Online account on which they qualified for the 2009 Magic Online Championship using their own collection (i.e. they must provide their own constructed deck). Product will be provided for the Zendikar booster draft.
SCORING: Each of the three tournaments will award Championship Points based on the number of match wins as follows:
|# of match wins
The total Championship Points from all 3 events will be used to determine the top 2 players, who will meet in the finals on-stage on Sunday. The format for the finals will be Standard Constructed (best 2-out-of-3 match).
The remaining standings will be based on the number of championship points earned. DCI tie-breakers will be aggregated across all 3 tournaments and used if needed.
ADMISSION: FREE – No Tix, No Product for limited, Invitation only
PRIZE SUPPORT: Prizes paid as follows:
All who participate in the 2009 Magic Online Championship will get one complete set of any previously released Magic Online set or expansion of their choice. The first and second place finisher will also get an additional premium foil complete set of any previously released Magic Online set or expansion of their choice
Players must have a signed waiver and consent form to compete in the 2009 Magic Online Championship. Forms can be downloaded at www.wizards.com/protour and will be available onsite.
Minors must have a parent or guardian's signature on these forms. Minors will not be able to register or play unless we receive a waiver signed by a parent or guardian. No exceptions!
Bring these forms with you to registration. We will make forms available for competitors at registration, if necessary.
To register, all participants must present one of the following forms of identification:
- a driver's license, or
- a passport, or
- a copy of a birth certificate and photo IDs (school IDs are acceptable).
Determination of the eligibility of a person under age 18 to participate in the Magic Online 2009 Championship Series is based on the permission granted to said person by his/her parent or legal guardian. All prizes are awarded "AS IS" and WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, express or implied, (including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose). This is a contest of skill and, therefore, there are no odds of winning as is the case with a game of chance. All applicable taxes, fees, duties, tariffs, passport or visa costs, and any license, destination, entry, exit and/or delivery charges are the sole responsibility of each player. Taxes on the prizes (including, without limitation, income taxes), if any, are the sole responsibility of the player winners.
Release: By entering (or consenting to the entry of a person under 18) the Magic Online 2009 Championship Series, each participant (or the participant's parent or legal guardian, if the participant is under 18) and the winner (or the winner's parent or legal guardian, if winner is under 18) thereby releases Wizards of the Coast LLC, Hasbro, and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agencies from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Magic Online 2009 Championship Series or delivery, misdelivery, acceptance, possession, use of or inability to use any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory. Except where prohibited, you agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved under the laws of the State of Washington, without respect to any conflict of law issues, and participants agree that such shall be resolved properly, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the U.S. Federal and State Courts of King County, Washington, U.S.A. All of Sponsor's decisions regarding the application and interpretation of the Rules are final.
Disclaimer of Liability; Certain Risks
Sponsors, and any of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, professional advisors, employees and agencies will not be responsible for: (a) any late, lost, misrouted, garbled, distorted, or damaged transmissions or entries; (b) telephone, electronic, hardware, software, network, Internet, or other computer- or communications-related malfunctions or failures; (c) any event disruptions, losses or damages caused by events beyond the control of Sponsors; or (d) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Magic Online 2009 Championship Series.
Participation in Magic Online 2009 Championship Series is void where restricted, taxed or prohibited by law.
The winners of this Tournament will be posted on http://www.wizards.com.