The 2008 Magic: The Gathering World Championships will take place December 11 – 14, 2008 in Memphis, TN, USA. The World Championships is the highest-level competition that Magic™ has to offer.
The Magic Online World Championships qualifier is a one-time opportunity which gives a chance for you to qualify and compete in the most exciting Magic: The Gathering tournament of the year. The winner of the qualifier and a guest will experience Worlds like Magic's elite: airfare, hotel, and a chance to become the 2008 World Champion.
Magic Online World Championships Qualifier Preliminary Top 8 Tournaments
Dates: Wednesday, October 8, 2008 through Tuesday October 14, 2008.
Thirty-two (32) Daily Events will be designated "Worlds QT Prelim" events. Each Worlds QT Prelim will invite the Top 8 finishers to play in the 2008 World Championships Qualifier Tournament on Saturday October 18, 2008 at 9:00 AM PST. See the Magic Online Event Schedule for a complete schedule of Worlds QT Prelims.
Formats: Constructed – Standard, Extended, Classic, LRW-SHM Block
Limited – SHM-EVE Sealed, 10E Sealed
Cost: Constructed Formats – 10 Tix
Limited Formats – 4 Tix, plus Product
Prizes: Prizes paid as follows.
In addition, the Top 8 finishers of each Worlds QT Prelim are invited to the 2008 World Championships Qualifier on October 18, 2008.
Magic Online World Championships Last Chance to Qualify Queues
After the completion of the scheduled Top 8 Qualifier tournaments we will run Last Chance to Qualify Queues for approximately 36 hours running from Wednesday October 15 after the weekly downtime (approximately 12:00 PM PST) until 11:59 PM PST Thursday October 16.
These 8-player single elimination queues will award the 1st place finisher an invitation to compete in the 2008 Magic Online World Championships Qualifier. No other prizes will be awarded in these queues.
Dates: Wednesday, October 15 after the weekly downtime through Thursday October 16, 2008 12:00 am
Formats: Constructed – Standard
Limited – SHM-EVE Sealed
Cost: Constructed Format – 4 Tix
Limited Format – Product only
Prizes: The winner of each 8-player queue will be invited to participate in the 2008 World Championships Qualifier on October 18, 2008.
2008 Magic Online World Championships Qualifier
START TIME: Saturday October 18, 9:00 am PST
ADMISSION: FREE – (No Tix, Invitation only)
In addition, the winner of the World Championships Qualifier receives an invitation to the 2008 World Championships in Memphis, TN, USA, including two round-trip economy-class tickets from the airport nearest the winner's location to Memphis and five nights hotel accommodation during Worlds*.
Although players may have multiple accounts qualified for the World Championships Qualifier event, players are not permitted to have more than 1 of their accounts entered in the event. Players are not permitted to have secondary accounts played by another person. If a player is discovered to have more than 1 account playing in the Championships before, during, or after the event, appropriate penalties will be applied (including disqualification from the event with no refund of product or event tickets).
Playing on another person's account, selling your account, etc. are all violations of the Terms of Service. If you play in these, win, and expect to get your prize, be very, very sure you are on your own account. We do not recognize "I and a friend jointly own the account," "It's my brother's account but he gave it to me," or similar. The only exception is an adult may authorize a single dependent child age 13-18 to play on an account that adult has purchased.
A list of all players that have qualified for the World Championships Qualifier will be maintained on the Wizards of the Coast web site. Players will be registered into the Championships the morning of the next day after they qualified. It will be the player's responsibility to make sure that they have been properly entered into this event and are able to join it PRIOR to the start of the Championships. If a player is qualified and is unable to join the Championships, they will need to contact customer service to get this corrected.
If a player wins who has previously qualified for Worlds in Memphis, the airfare and accommodations will be awarded to that player while the invitation to 2008 World Championships will pass down to the player with the best finish who is not already invited to Worlds. The final Swiss standings will determine the difference between third and fourth place and the difference between fifth through eighth place, should that be necessary.
If a player wins that is ineligible to play in DCI™-sanctioned tournaments (i.e. DCI suspended and/or a paid contractor), then the Worlds invitation and the travel and accommodation prizes will pass down to the player with the best finish who is not already invited to Worlds. The final Swiss standings will determine the difference between third and fourth place and the difference between fifth through eighth place, should that be necessary.
In either of the above cases, the booster pack prizes will not pass down.
In order to remain eligible for Prizes, all qualified players must email firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, October 17, 2008 at 10:00 AM PDT with the following information: Full Legal Name, Full Address, Telephone number, and DCI Number. Players must put their MTGO Username as the subject of the email. (Account passwords will not be requested--never give your password to anyone.) Please do not email unless you have already qualified for the Championships. Do not send an email for another player or account, and do not have another person send the email for you.
In addition, during the tournament, Wizards of the Coast staff (marked with the Wizards logo beside their online name) may ask players for their name and/or contact information. Do not give out your information to anyone who is not a Wizards of the Coast Staff (marked with the Wizards logo beside their online name).
Failure to provide accurate information may result in significant penalties, including suspension from online Magic tournaments up to and including termination of your Magic Online account.
* The Magic Online™ travel prize package includes round-trip, coach airfare for the winner and a guest from the major airport nearest the winner's home to Memphis, TN, USA to attend the Magic the Gathering 2008 World Championships held on December 11 through December 14, 2008, and double occupancy accommodations at a hotel chosen by Wizards of the Coast, Inc. or its designate. Meals, gratuities, ground transportation and all other fees, costs, and expenses not specified herein are the winner's sole responsibility. All taxes are the sole responsibility of the winner. A representative of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. will contact the winner regarding this prize package. This prize is non-negotiable, non-transferable, and not redeemable for an alternate award except in Wizards' sole discretion. Trip must be taken on the dates designated by Wizards, or prize will be forfeited and will not be re-awarded. Specific travel dates and arrangements are subject to availability. Winner and guest must travel together on same itinerary. The winner and his/her guest will be required to sign and return prior to travel (i) a signed Consent and Release Agreement, (ii) the appropriate IRS tax form, (iii) proof of identification, and (iv) and other documentation designated by Wizards; failure to do so will result in disqualification. Minors (i.e., those under 18 years of age) who win the Magic Online World Championships Qualifier are not eligible to be awarded the plane ticket and hotel travel award. Instead, minors will be awarded a "Cash Equivalent Award" equal to the cost of a round trip ticket to the World Championships, as determined by Wizards in its sole discretion. This award will be issued only if the player actually shows up to the World Championships in Memphis on his or her own, and registers to play. Wizards will pay out this "Minor Qualifier Travel – Cash Equivalent Award" after the World Championships.
Important information regarding system crashes for the 2008 Magic Online World Championships Qualifier
If during the scheduled 2008 Magic Online World Championships Qualifier the system crashes, 1 of 2 things will happen:
The system will come right back up. In this case:
- The event will continue and additional time will be given to allow players to finish the event
If the system cannot recover the event and "finishes" (prematurely ends) the event, or a WOTC Tournament Coordinator must "finish" (prematurely end) the event within 2 hours of the events scheduled start time:
- The event will re-created and start over from the beginning. Results from the previous event will not be carried over.
If the event is still in its Swiss Rounds though not the final Swiss round and has been running for more than 2 hours:
- The event will be considered canceled and will be rescheduled for Saturday October 25, 9:00 am PST. Results from the previous event will not be carried over.
If the event is in the final round of Swiss play:
- The results of the last completed round of Swiss play will be official and the top 8 players from Swiss play will be invited to participate in an 8-player Single Elimination Standard queue and play it out to determine the final standings.
If the event is in the Top 8:
- The results of the last completed round of Single Elimination will be official and the remaining players will be invited to participate in a queue of the correct designated size (8, 4, or 2) and play out to determine the final standings.