agic Online’s vibrant and vocal community has always been willing to challenge the MTGO team. Now, it is the MTGO team’s turn to challenge the community. We are putting together a special fun-filled competition to celebrate this spirited relationship.
For this inaugural event, we have invited a team of 8 players consisting of 4 members of the press and 4 Magic Online
Community Leaders to be your representatives. These Magic Online
fans will be flown out to Wizards of the Coast’s
headquarters to compete against a team of Wizards of the Coast
employees to see who will lay claim to the Community Challenge Cup.
And to make it interesting, the community team won’t only be playing for themselves, but also for potential rewards for the community as a whole! There will be several opportunities to provide input, so make sure to participate and give the Community Team your advice and support!
INVITATIONS: Invitations for the Community Team have been awarded to:
Gaming and/or Magic Online Press
- John Baichtal – WIRED GeekDad
- Sam McCarl - writer for Gaming Angels
- Hamtastic - writer for Pure MTGO and Wizards of the Coast MTGO Community VCL
- One million words - writer for Star City Games and Pure MTGO
- Bubba0077 – Wizards of the Coast MTGO Community VCL
- Dangerlinto – founder of www.classicquarter.com
- SpikeBoyM – Pauper and PDC community leader
- Tweaker – founder of www.mymtgo.com
You can see the Wizards team here.
DATES: November 5-6, 2009.
LOCATION: Live event held at the Wizards of the Coast corporate office in Renton, WA USA
FORMAT: Multiple events. Each format will consist of a hand-paired 4-round Swiss tournament (to ensure each match is a community vs. creator matchup).
Thursday November 5
- Zendikar Draft
- 100-Card Singleton Unified Constructed*
Friday November 6
- Standard Unified Constructed**
- Invasion Block Draft
SCORING: Each of the four tournaments will award Championship Points based on the number of match wins as follows:
|# of match wins||Championship Points|
The total Championship Points from all 4 events will be used to tabulate each player’s scores. Bonus Championship Points may be available through additional special events as well.
After each event, we will also tally each team’s player points to determine the team scores. The team that has the highest score at the end of the entire Community Challenge Cup wins!
ADMISSION: FREE – Invitation only
The winning team (Community or Wizards of the Coast) will be inscribed as the 2009 Champions on the Community Challenge Cup.
In addition, all Magic Online users that post in the Community Team Strategy thread (must include your Magic Online account name) will earn the following bonuses (dependent on the results of the Community Challenge):
- If the Community Team defeats Wizards of the Coast, all eligible Magic Online users (see above requirements) will receive a copy of the Momir Vig avatar and will be invited into the free Community Cup Momir Tournament.
- If the Community team loses to the Wizards of the Coast team, all eligible Magic Online users (see above requirements) will instead receive a non-foil version of the Gleemox promo card.
*For the Classic Singleton Unified Constructed tournament, each team must create eight (8) 100-card Singleton decks with 15-card sideboards (one for each player) using a card pool that only contains one (1) of each Classic-legal card available on Magic Online.
**For the Standard Unified Constructed tournament, each team must create eight (8) 60-card decks with 15-card sideboards (one for each player) using a card pool that only contains four (4) of each Standard-legal card available on Magic Online.