Magic: The Gathering® Pro Tour™–Hollywood 2008 Qualifier
March 15-16, 2008
Philadelphia is packed with theaters, concert halls, jazz clubs, restaurants, shopping malls, museums and amazing attractions. There are countless ways to experience the excitement, vitality and cultural diversity. A great time is yours to enjoy in Philadelphia.
With history that's practically European in its richness and complexity, neighborhoods packed with one-of-a-kind restaurants and unforgettable attractions; a culture that welcomes people of all backgrounds, the City of Brotherly Love is all about civic pride.
The Magic: The Gathering® Grand Prix tournament series is an international circuit of large-scale Qualifier tournaments featuring $30,000 in cash prizes, invitations to the Pro TourTM for the top 16 finishers, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants.
Grand Prix—Philadelphia is presented by Gray Matter Conventions, Inc.
Pennsylvania Convention Center
1101 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Friday, Date: Registration from 7:00 P.M. – 10:00 P.M.
Saturday, Date: Registration from 7:30 A.M. – 9:30 A.M.
Tournament begins at 10:00 A.M. If fewer than 800 players participate in the event, the Top 64 players advance to competition on Sunday. If 800 or more players participate, the top 128 players advance to Sunday.
Sunday, Date: The Top 64 (or 128) players begin play at 9:00 A.M.
Holiday Inn – Philadelphia Stadium
900 Packer Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19148
Rates: $149.00 for a double occupancy. Please mention Magic Grand Prix or Gray Matter to get this special rate.
This hotel is on the train line to the PA Convention Center. It is a 5 minute walk to the train station (Broad St.) and the train is 10 minutes to the PA Convention Center. There is also free parking at the hotel.
Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia Airport
4101A Island Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19153
(215) 492-0400; (800) 325-3535
Rates: $125 for double occupancy. Please mention Magic Grand Prix or Gray Matter to get this special rate.
This hotel is about a 10 minute drive to the PA Convention Center. There is free parking at the hotel. Players can take a shuttle from the hotel to the Philadelphia Airport and take a train directly to the PA Convention Center. Total trip time is around 25 minutes.
Other hotel options may be available. For more information, please email Glen at email@example.com.
$35. Advance Registration (no waiting)
$35. On-site Registration (some waiting)
For advance registration, please visit www.graymatterconventions.com. Advance registration is available online ONLY.
- Deck lists are required
- Players must use the same deck on Day 2 that they used on Day 1
- Swiss rounds - 50 minutes per round
- Number of Swiss rounds on Day 1 based on attendance and the number of byes in the tournament, and will be announced at the beginning of Day 1
- Day 2 will have 6 Swiss rounds followed by a cut to a top 8
- All players may participate in all Swiss rounds of Day 1
- If the event has 799 participants or less, the Top 64 players advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations. If the event has 800 or more participants, the top 128 will advance to day 2.
- The top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
The Head Judge for Grand Prix–Philadelphia will be John Carter.
If you wish to volunteer as a judge at Grand Prix–Philadelphia, please contact our Judge Coordinator, Hayden Courtland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Competitive REL Day 1, Professional REL Day 2
- All Universal Tournament Rules and Magic: the Gathering Floor Rules are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
Invitations, Eligibility, and Prize Money
The main tournament at Grand Prix–Philadelphia is open to Magic players of all ages.
In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCITM player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
- All participants in the Grand Prix will receive a Call of the Herd exclusive Grand Prix foil card, while supplies last
- The top 16 Players will receive invitations to Pro Tour-Hollywood.
Main Tournament Prize Schedule
Tournament Byes (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year)
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- DCI players with a Constructed rating of 2000 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on the player's DCI Constructed rating on the Wednesday before the Grand Prix.
- Winners of Grand Prix–Philadelphia Trials
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- DCI players with a Constructed rating of 1900 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on the player's DCI Constructed rating on the Wednesday before the Grand Prix.
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- DCI players with a Constructed rating of 1800 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on the player's DCI Constructed rating on the Wednesday before the Grand Prix.
GRAND PRIX TRIAL
Friday, March 14th, 2008
4:00 – 8:00 PM
Format: Extended, 32 person single-elimination flights
Pennsylvania Convention Center
1101 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Prizes: Top player in each flight receives a Third-Round bye at the Grand Prix, Product Prizes
Other Grand Prix–Philadelphia Trials will be run throughout North America in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers at least 1 Third-Round bye to Grand Prix–Philadelphia.
Several artists will be appearing at Grand Prix – Philadelphia. Information about artist signings will be available at www.graymatterconventions.com after February 15th, 2008.
A complete Grand Prix– Philadelphia side event schedule can be found at www.graymatterconventions.com after February 15th, 2008.
- Players who want more specific local tournament or registration information should call their local contact phone number.
- Players who have general questions about the Magic: The Gathering trading card game, Wizards of the Coast, Inc., the Magic: The Gathering Pro Tour, Arena–The League for Magic: The Gathering, DCI players' organization, Qualifier tournaments, the Magic World Championships, National Championships, State/Provincial Championships, or Regionals should call Wizards of the Coast at (800) 324-6496, or send email to us via the form at wizards.custhelp.com.
WIZARDS OF THE COAST, Magic: The Gathering, Magic, Lorwyn, Morningtide DCI, and MAGIC: THE GATHERING PRO TOUR are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. ©2007 Wizards.