Date: October 24-25, 2009
Format: Zendikar Sealed Deck / Booster Draft Day 2
Manatee Convention & Civic Center
1 Haben Boulevard
Palmetto, FL 34221
Friday, October 23: 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Saturday, October 24: 7:30 a.m. – 8:45 a.m.
Get your free promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
The Tampa Bay area has some of the coolest things to see and do around Florida. Located halfway down the west coast of Florida, the bay area boasts several notable attractions. Traditionalists can enjoy Busch Gardens theme park, the Florida Aquarium, Salvador Dali Museum and much more. Those seeking a bit more adventure can enjoy a chartered swim with the manatees, SCUBA diving, parasailing, skydiving, airboating, fishing, or just relax on one of the many area beaches and soak up the sun.
Outside the Tampa Bay area (about 1.5 hours away in Orlando), Central Florida can offer an amazing set of options to include a performance from Blue Man Group or Cirque de Soleil. A day at Universal Studios, Disney, Sea World, Wet-n-Wild, Aquatica…
Consider scheduling your trip to depart straight from Pro Tour–Austin and join us in Florida for a week of fun culminated by your success over the Grand Prix weekend
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out of the house, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to $30,000 in cash prizes, Pro Tour invitations for the top 16 finishers, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
All prizes in U.S. Dollars.
|Top 16 finishers also earn invitations to Pro Tour–San Diego 2010.
Format: Zendikar Sealed Deck / Booster Draft Day 2
Participation Fee: $40
Grand Prix–Tampa will feed Pro Tour–San Diego 2010.
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, October 23: Registration from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Saturday, October 24: Registration from 7:30 a.m. to 8:45 a.m.
- Saturday, October 24: Tournament begins at 9 a.m.
- Sunday, October 25: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix–Tampa is open to Magic players of all ages.
- Day 1: Sealed Deck (Product: 6 Zendikar boosters)
- Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft (3 Zendikar boosters)
- Deck lists are required
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination playoff round.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using the random seating.
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
The Head Judge for Grand Prix–Tampa is Seamus Campbell.
To volunteer as a judge or learn more about judge certification at Grand Prix Tampa, please contact Erik Mock at Judge@UnityGames.info with the subject “Grand Prix Tampa Volunteer”.
- Grand Prix–Tampa will be run with a KValue of 40. The Rules Enforcement Level will be Competitive on Day 1 and Professional on Day 2.
- All Universal Tournament Rules and Magic: The Gathering Floor Rules are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the DCI Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Last Chance Trials
Friday, October 23: Noon until 8 p.m.
Location: Manatee Convention & Civic Center
Format: Zendikar Sealed, 32-person single-elimination flights
Prizes: Top player in each flight wins a Third-Round bye, product prizes to top players
Other Grand Prix–Tampa Trials will be run throughout the southeast in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers at least 1 Third-Round bye to Grand Prix–Tampa.
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 2050 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on October 21, 2009.
- Players with a DCI Limited rating of 2000 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Limited ratings published on October 21, 2009.
- Winners of Grand Prix–Tampa Trial tournaments.
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1950 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on October 21, 2009.
- Players with a DCI Limited rating of 1900 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Limited ratings published on October 21, 2009.
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1850 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on October 21, 2009.
- Players with a DCI Limited rating of 1800 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Limited ratings published on October 21, 2009.
Events will include a Pro Tour Qualifier for San Diego, 2010 Magic Cruise Qualifier, Grand Prix–Minneapolis Trial and scheduled tournaments for your favorite formats. Single-elimination 8-player events will be available throughout the weekend. A full list of public events, the schedule and prizes for the weekend will be continually updated and can be found at www.UnityEntertainment.info.
ARTISTS: ZOLTAN BOROS AND GABOR SZIKSZAI
Unity Entertainment is proud to bring Zoltan Boros and Gabor Szikszai from Hungary for you to meet with over the weekend. They will have prints and originals available for sale. Their amazing artistry includes such cards as Glare of Subdual and Rakdos the Defiler.
Unity Entertainment has selected two hotels to officially host players. Both of these hotels will be on our Free Unity Magic Shuttle Route and have play space to unwind:
Courtyard by Marriott
Bradenton Sarasota Riverfront
100 Riverfront Blvd
Bradenton, FL 34205
You can get a standard King or 2 Queen Beds in our block for $99 per night. There are also suites that have a King with Sofa or 2 Queens with Sofa in our block for $119 per night. You must tell the hotel that you are part of the Magic Grand Prix and rooms must be booked before October 15th to receive this discounted rate. This hotel is about 1 mile from the venue and will be supported by a Free Unity Magic Player Shuttle to the Convention Center.
3506 First Street West
Bradenton, FL 34208
Standard King or 2 Double Beds will be available in our block for $49.99 per night. You must tell the hotel that you are part of the Magic Grand Prix and rooms must be booked before October 15th to receive this discounted rate. This hotel is approximately 2 miles from the venue and will be supported by a Free Unity Magic Player Shuttle to the Convention Center.
Our recommended discount Airport Shuttle Service from Tampa International or Sarasota/Bradenton International to the hotels will be available from:
2875 University Parkway
There will be multiple scheduled service runs each day from the airports but travelers should contact them in advance for that schedule and pricing, service will run about $40. They also have private group packages where for $100, up to 3 players can travel together at a time of their choosing.
Tournament Organizer: Jeff Williams
Questions relating to the area can be directed to the Convention & Visitors Bureau: