Dirk Baberowski entered this draft with a 9-1-1 record, needing a 2-1 performance to make top 8. He was being fed by Arjan van Leeuwen and passing to Franck Canu.
The following are the picks Dirk made:
1. CephalidLooter, Ivy Elemental
Not a hard first pick for Dirk. Cephalid Looter is widely considered the better card of the two.
2. Mystic Zealot, Painbringer, Patriarch's Desire, Scrivener
This is a very interesting pack as it forces Dirk to pick his second color almost immediately. Dirk decides to gamble that white will be underdrafted this draft and takes the Zealot.
3. Resilient Wanderer, Hallowed Healer, Syncopate
4. Aven Windreader, Dirty Wererat, Hallowed Healer, Blessed Orator
5. Mystic Zealot, Repel, Aether Burst
6. Pilgrim of Virtue
7. Embolden, Angelic Wall, Words of Wisdom
8-15. Patrol Hound, Mystic Visionary
1. Aven Flock, Psionic Gift, Ghastly Demise
This is where Dirk decides to forget about splashing and just draft white/blue, valuing mana consistency more than sheer power, although Psionic Gift is about as good as demise in blue/white.
2. Shelter, Aether Burst, Psionic Gift
3. Millikin, Angelic Wall, Cephalid Scout
4. Mystic Zealot
5. Scrivener, Second Thoughts
6. Embolden, Aether Burst
Had he known beforehand, Dirk could have drafted three Aether Bursts and two Scriveners, ofcourse hindsight really is 20/20.
1. Deep Analysis, Violent Eruption
Another not-quite-splash possibility for Dirk, one he once again chose not to take.
2. Skywing Aven, Hypochondria
3. Stupefying Touch, Vengeful Dreams
Dirk chose to pick Stupefying Touch over Vengeful Dreams. Although Vengeful Dreams probably is the better card, blue/white needs a way to shut down Chainflingers and Cabal Torturers, so the pick is more than justified.
4. Vengeful Dreams, Stern Judge
5. Obsessive Search, Spirit Flare
6. Teroh's Faithful, Militant Monk, Hypochondria
7-15. Nothing much, Torment is not very friendly to blue/white players..
Dirk ended up with a pretty good blue/white deck that has a good chance of getting him the 2-1 record he needs. I said the same about Jan Doise's Blue/White deck last time though and he went 0-3, so we'll just have to wait and see.