Date: May 23 - 25, 2014
Georgia World Congress Center
285 Andrew Young International Blvd NW
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
Click here for map.
Entry into the Grand Prix event venue is free of charge.
Registration: $50 - Registration includes entry into the Grand Prix. BONUS! One free 8 person pick up event (draft or win-a-box) with your registration!
$100 - VIP Registration. Includes entry into the Grand Prix, the bonus free event, access to the VIP Lounge, the VIP Sealed Draft, guaranteed Grand Prix playmat, Sleep-In Special and more!
Pre-registration is available online at www.pastimes.net until 5/23/14 at 11:30 p.m.
Pre-registration is available on-site on Friday, 5/23, until 9 p.m.
There will be no Saturday registration for this event.
Many Grand Prix offer additional services to participants, such as Sleep-In Specials and VIP packages. Sleep-In Specials allow players with byes to skip the player meeting on Saturday and arrive shortly before their first round begins. VIP packages provide various perks such as complimentary bottled water, special seating, and exclusive artist signings. Details of these services vary from event to event; please check the organizer's site for specifics.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Truly a Magic Weekend, the fun begins on Friday with amazing events and great opportunities for exclusive promotional items. In addition, there will be non-tournament events starting on Friday with our new Magic Stage featuring seminars, Magic Artist and Pro Player meet and greets, cosplay, Magic Deck Doctor and more. Make sure to join us Friday night for the first MegaTrial, and win foils and Grand Prix byes while having fun with your friends! Want a playmat as a souvenir from this fantastic weekend? (obviously....) Check the event schedule as only certain events offer the exclusive playmat from Grand Prix Atlanta!
Of course there is the main tournament—GP Atlanta will be one of the only complete Theros Block Grand Prix events in the world! Alongside the entertainment and competition of the main event are plenty of casual, fun events like Commander, Grand Melee, Sealed Draft, booster drafts, win-a-boxes and more! To keep the entertainment level high, there will be artist appearances by Steve Argyle, Peter Morbacher, and Jason Felix!
The weekend concludes with one of the hottest events in Magicdom - the Super Sunday Series. Grab a spot at the most exclusive, high-stakes Magic event around—and an all-expenses paid trip to Seattle and Wizards of the Coast to play for a prize pool of $20,000 (under 50 players will be invited!)
|| Follow live streaming video coverage of Grand Prix Atlanta at DailyMTG.com and Twitch.tv with Marshall Sutcliffe, Pro Tour Hall of Famer Randy Buehler, Zac Hill, Rashad Miller, and Rich Hagon. The live video stream will start at approximately 2 p.m. local time / 6 p.m. GMT Saturday.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to step up your game, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition over three days. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, the Grand Prix features a host of other activities, including side events and artist signings. Side-event tournaments begin Friday, with the Grand Prix main event running Saturday and Sunday. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Remember your Grand Prix Atlanta experience with this amazing keepsake playmat brought to you by Pastimes and the amazing artist Sandara (from GP Houston and Louisville playmat fame). Get yours by registering as a VIP or playing in various amazing side events all weekend long at the Grand Prix! (Check out the side event schedule at www.pastimes.net/gpatlanta.) The playmat is also available with special promotions, so be sure to follow Pastimes at www.facebook.com/pastimes to keep posted on ways you can take home one of these great mats (even if you are not at the Grand Prix!)"
Tournament Format and Schedule
| *If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200-2,399 participants, prize money will be paid out to 100th place. If Grand Prix attendance is 2,400 or more participants, prize money will be paid out to 150th place.
Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Magic 2015 in Portland (August 2014).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare, and all players with 39 or more match points who do not make Top 8 earn invitations.
All prizes displayed in U.S. dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Format: Theros/Born of the Gods/Journey into Nyx Sealed Deck/Draft
Participation Fee: $50
Registration and Schedule
- Online Registration until May 23 at www.pastimes.net/gpatlanta
- Friday, May 23: Registration: 2:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- Saturday, May 24: Grand Prix Atlanta begins at 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, May 25: Day Two begins at 9:00 a.m.
Registration to the Grand Prix main event closes Friday night. There will be no Saturday registration.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Atlanta is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed waiver and consent form to compete at Grand Prix Atlanta. Forms can be downloaded here and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on these forms. Minors will not be able to register or play unless we receive a waiver signed by a parent or guardian. No exceptions.
Theros/Born of the Gods/Journey into Nyx Sealed Deck/Draft
Day One: Sealed Deck
Day Two and Top 8: Booster draft
Sealed Deck Product: 2 Journey Into Nyx boosters, 2 Born of the Gods boosters, 2 Theros boosters
Booster Draft Product: 1 Journey into Nyx booster, 1 Born of the Gods booster, and 1 Theros booster (drafted in that order)
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- Day One will consist of a maximum of 9 Swiss rounds. Day Two will consist of 6 Swiss rounds and the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- If 799 or less players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 64 players – whichever is greater – advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 128 players – whichever is greater – advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day Two will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination playoff.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3.
- Top 8 playoff matches will have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Standings after the Swiss rounds will be used to determine final order in the standings for losing players in the quarterfinal and semifinal playoff rounds.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
Judges interested in being on staff should apply through apps.magicjudges.org. Others interested in being on staff should email email@example.com or apply through the Judge Center if able.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day One and Professional on Day Two.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players are responsible for bringing their own method of tracking life totals, card sleeves, and appropriate counters or tokens.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, May 23
Time: Grand Prix Trials will begin immediately upon doors opening at 12 Noon.
Format: There will be Trials available for Standard as well as Limited.
There will be a Mega Trial available in the evening offering multiple people the opportunity to win byes.
Please check the schedule of events at www.pastimes.net for information about all Grand Prix Trials.
* Times are approximate and subject to change.
Other Grand Prix Atlanta Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one Two-Round bye to Grand Prix Atlanta.
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Wednesday immediately before the Grand Prix. (For Grand Prix Atlanta, the cutoff date will be May 21st.) Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix. Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 2, 2013 – March 9, 2014)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 10, 2014 – June 1, 2014)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Winners of Grand Prix Atlanta Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 2, 2013 – March 9, 2014)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 10, 2014 – June 1, 2014)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 2, 2013 – March 9, 2014)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 10, 2014 – June 1, 2014)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded two byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down. Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additional events and a full schedule can be found on the www.pastimes.net website. All side events (except casual events) will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Earn a valuable Two-Round bye by winning one of the Last-Chance Trials. Last-Chance Trials are 32-person single-elimination events, starting as soon as 32 players register. For more info, check out the Byes section of this page.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Enjoy a special discount on pick-up drafts on Saturday. Actual times and prices vary by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Super Sunday Series
Qualifier tournaments for the Super Sunday Series will be held at each Grand Prix. The Top 8 players in the Super Sunday Series qualifier will each be awarded a commemorative Grand Prix water bottle. The winner of the Super Sunday Series qualifier will earn an invitation and travel award for the Super Sunday Series Championship 2015, expected to be held in January 23-24 2015 in Seattle. The Super Sunday Series Championship experience also includes a tour of Wizards of the Coast, dinner with Wizards employees, and more.
Four of the hottest artists in Magic will be joining us at Grand Prix Atlanta - Steve Argyle, Peter Mohrbacher, Jason Felix, and rk post! All four artists will be available to sign cards, playmats and more. In addition all will be selling prints, artist proofs, original art/sketches and doing custom alterations of mats and cards!
The Georgia World Congress Center is centrally located in the heart of downtown Atlanta. The GWCC is located in the convention corridor of downtown Atlanta, next to a multitude of restaurants and attractions. The center is easily accessible from both Interstate 20 and the Connector (Interstates 75/85). With Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, the Georgia World Congress Center is accessible by 80 percent of the American population in two hours or less. The GWCC campus is served by two MARTA (Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) stations.
For more information click here
Pastimes has chosen the closest hotel to the Convention Center for the hotel block - and at a very reasonable rate for this 4-star hotel. Click below for details.
Omni Hotel at CNN Center
100 CNN Center, Atlanta, Georgia 30303
Phone: (404) 659-0000
Tournament Organizer: Alan Hochman (Pastimes)
Phone Number: 847-470-9636
Georgia World Congress Center
285 Andrew Young International Blvd NW
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
Click here for map.