Date: June 21-23, 2013
CentralWorld, 8th Floor, Zone A - Atrium
Click here for map.
Registration: THB 1000 (Friday), THB 1100 (Saturday)
Friday, June 21: 2 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Saturday, June 22: 8 a.m. - 8.45 a.m.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Welcome to Bangkok, the capital, economic center and most populous city of Thailand. Bangkok is also one of the world's top tourist destination cities with its multi-faceted sights, attractions, and city life appealing to diverse groups of tourists. Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix finally returns to Bangkok after a four-year hiatus.
Grand Prix Bangkok is open to the public and all players are invited to participate. With the completion of the Return to Ravnica block, what better way to celebrate one of Magic's most exciting and colorful blocks than with a Sealed Deck of the entire block! In addition, the side event schedule will be jam-packed with exhilarating events with multiple formats. With Planeswalker Points multipliers of 8x for the main event and 3x for all side events, there is no better way to chalk up those Planeswalker Points! A Sleep-In Special will be available (for a fee) allowing players with byes to have more snooze time on Saturday. Local and international card dealers will be on hand, whether you are looking for that elusive card for your Commander deck or looking to offload your cards.
Register for the main event and receive a Grand Prix Bangkok exclusive Savageborn Hydra playmat by Raymond Swanland (while supplies last). What's more, Raymond Swanland will be in attendance as the guest artist for signatures and sketches on cards, prints and even the exclusive playmat!
Come on down to Grand Prix Bangkok for an amazing and unforgettable weekend!
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including side events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Participants in Grand Prix Bangkok get this Raymond Swanland original-art playmat (while supplies last).
Tournament Format and Schedule
| Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Theros in Dublin (October 2013).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare, and all players with 39 or more match points who do not make Top 8 earn invitations.
All prizes in U.S. dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Format: Return to Ravnica Block Sealed Deck and Booster Draft
Participation Fee: THB 1000 (Friday), THB 1100 (Saturday)
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, June 21: Registration 2 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Saturday, June 22: Registration 8 a.m. - 8.45 a.m.
- Saturday, June 22: Tournament begins at 9 a.m.
- Sunday, June 23: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Bangkok is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
Day 1: Sealed Deck
Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft
- Sealed Deck Product: 2 Return to Ravnica booster packs, 2 Gatecrash booster packs, 2 Dragon's Maze booster packs
- Booster Draft Product: 1 Dragon's Maze booster, 1 Gatecrash booster, and 1 Return to Ravnica booster (drafted in that order)
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or less players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 64 players - whichever is greater - advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 128 players - whichever is greater - advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3.
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit.
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
Riccardo Tessitori will be the head judge for Grand Prix Bangkok.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day 1 and Professional on Day 2.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves, and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, June 21
Format: Sealed Deck and Standard, 32-player Single-Elimination flights
Cost: Sealed Deck THB 700, Standard THB 350
Times: 10 a.m. (last Sealed trial begins at 4 p.m., last Standard trial begins at 5 p.m.)
Planeswalker Points Multiplier: 3x Prizes:
First: Third-round bye and free Sleep-In Special
Second: 18 Dragon's Maze booster packs
Third-Fourth: 9 Dragon's Maze booster packs each
Other Grand Prix Bangkok Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one Third-Round bye to Grand Prix Bangkok.
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Winners of Grand Prix Bangkok Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down. Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additional events and a full schedule can be found on www.facebook.com/PlayEventsLLP. All side events will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Earn a valuable Third-Round bye by winning one of the Last-Chance Trials. Last-Chance Trials are 32-person single-elimination events, starting as soon as 32 players register. For more info, check out the Byes section of this page.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Enjoy a special discount on pick-up drafts on Saturday. Actual times and prices vary by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Super Sunday Series
Two Super Sunday Series tournaments will be held at each Grand Prix, one Sealed Deck and one Standard. The Top 4 players from each will proceed to play in the Super Sunday Series Final Booster Draft. The Top 4 players in Super Sunday Series Final will each be awarded a special Grand Prix messenger bag. The winner of the Super Sunday Series Final will earn an invitation and travel award for the Super Sunday Series Championship, to be held in January 2014 in Seattle with a prize purse of $20,000. The Super Sunday Series Championship experience also includes a tour of Wizards of the Coast, dinner with Wizards employees, and more. (Details about the Championship will be announced later in 2013.).
Raymond Swanland is a freelance artist/illustrator who began his career working on the Oddworld Inhabitants games and continues to create art for Magic: The Gathering, World of Warcraft, Aliens vs. Predator, ImagineFX, Disturbed, sci-fi/fantasy novels, and more.
CentralWorld LIVE is the event space located on the 8th floor of Zone A - Atrium in CentralWorld, a shopping complex in the heart of Bangkok which is the third largest shopping complex in the world.
CentralWorld is located at E1 Chit Lom BTS Station (Bangkok's skytrain system). The BTS station is connected to the complex by SkyWalk (a covered overhead walkway).
From the airport, take the Airport Express (Phaya Thai Express Line) to Phaya Thai and transfer to N2 Phaya Thai BTS station.
Tournament Organizer: Play! Events
Phone: +65 9763 9833
CentralWorld, 8th Floor, Zone A - Atrium
Click here for map.