Date: July 26 - 28, 2013
Calgary TELUS Convention Centre
120 - 9th Ave SE
Click here for map
Registration: $40 CDN
Friday, July 26: 2 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Saturday, July 27: 8 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
Sleep-In Special and VIP packages will be available.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Calgary, Alberta, home of the Calgary Stampede, gateway to the Canadian Rockies, and the host city for Canada's summer Grand Prix. This will be Calgary's first Grand Prix, where western hospitality and the warmth of summer promise to make it an exciting and entertaining weekend for Magic fans from both near and far.
Located at the TELUS Convention Center right in the heart of downtown Calgary, all of the city's amenities will be at your fingertips before, during, and after the tournament. The state-of-the-art facility is a stone's throw from a plethora of dining options and hotels, adjacent to the city's transit system, and within arm's reach of numerous shopping and night life attractions.
In addition to a challenging Standard main event, the weekend offers something to appeal to Magic players of every taste and ability. Whether you're committed to the entire weekend or just a couple of hours, Grand Prix Calgary has something for you. Kicking off with a free Mini-Master event on Friday and ending with the increasingly popular Sunday Super Series (offering a trip to Seattle to hobnob with the folks from Wizards of the Coast), the weekend will offer a full slate of side events from a variety of formats. Visit www.westcanevents.com for a full side event schedule, as well as a list of vendors, artists, and additional information.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including side events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
| Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Theros in Dublin (October 2013).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare, and all players with 39 or more match points who do not make Top 8 earn invitations.
All prizes in U.S. dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Participation Fee: $40 CDN
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, July 26: Registration 2 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Saturday, July 27: Registration 8 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
- Saturday, July 27: Grand Prix Calgary begins at 10 a.m.
- Sunday, July 28: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Calgary is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian's signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
- Deck lists are required.
- Players must use the same deck on Day 2 that they used on Day 1.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The Head Judge for Grand Prix Calgary is Scott Marshall. Judge applications for certified judges are located at the Magic judge website .
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day 1 and Professional on Day 2.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves, and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, July 26
Format: Standard and Magic 2014 Sealed Deck
Times: Last-Chance Trials start at Noon and begin as soon as 32 players are enrolled.
Cost: Standard ($20), Magic 2014 Sealed Deck ($25)
Planeswalker Points Multiplier: 3x
1st: 3-round bye for the Grand Prix and 36 packs, plus FREE Sleep-in Special registration. Pay for your Grand Prix registration, turn in your decklist before the main event registration is closed and you don't have to show up until 1 p.m. on Saturday!
2nd: 36 packs
3rd-4th: 18 packs
5th-8th: 9 packs
9th-16th: 3 packs
Other Grand Prix Calgary Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one Third-Round bye to Grand Prix Calgary.
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Wednesday immediately before the Grand Prix. (For Grand Prix Calgary, the cutoff date will be July 24.) Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix. Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Winners of Grand Prix Calgary Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down. Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additional events and a full schedule can be found on the Alberta Premier Events website. All side events will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Earn a valuable Third-Round bye by winning one of the Last-Chance Trials. Last-Chance Trials are 32-person single-elimination events, starting as soon as 32 players register. For more info, check out the Byes section of this page.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Enjoy a special discount on pick-up drafts on Saturday. Actual times and prices vary by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Super Sunday Series
Two Super Sunday Series tournaments will be held at each Grand Prix, one Sealed Deck and one Standard. The Top 4 players from each will proceed to play in the Super Sunday Series Final Booster Draft. The Top 4 players in Super Sunday Series Final will each be awarded a special Grand Prix messenger bag. The winner of the Super Sunday Series Final will earn an invitation and travel award for the Super Sunday Series Championship, to be held in February 2014 in Seattle with a prize purse of $20,000. The Super Sunday Series Championship experience also includes a tour of Wizards of the Coast, dinner with Wizards employees, and more. (Details about the Championship will be announced later in 2013.).
Rob Alexander, rk post, and Lucas Graciano and will be in attendance at Grand Prix Calgary.
Maps of the city and surrounding area, courtesy of the TELUS Convention Center:
Arriving by air:
Calgary International Airport (YYC) is a $40-$45 cab ride from downtown.
Check http://www.yyc.com/en-us/travellerinfo/groundtransportation.aspx for detailed ground transportation information.
For travel information, please visit the West Can Events home page.
Alberta Premier Events
Calgary TELUS Convention Centre
120 - 9th Ave SE
Click here for map