Date: November 10-11, 2012
600 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 595-PIER (7437)
(800) 595-PIER (7437)
Friday, November 9: 2 p.m.- 8 p.m.
Check out the Sleep-in Special!
Saturday, November 10: 8 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
The Chicago Cubs, the White Sox, the Blackhawks, the Bulls, Da Bears. Gabriel Nassif, Randy Buehler, Kai Budde and Bob Maher. All of these teams and people have one thing in common—Champions of Chicago. Be it Grand Prix or Pro Tour, the World Series (ok, maybe not the Cubs), Super Bowl, NBA Finals, or the Stanley Cup, Chicago is home to winners ... and you just have to ask yourself "are you next?" Get here early and play often as Friday features great promotions and events starting when the doors and registration open at 2 p.m.!
Brought to you by Pastimes, the Grand Prix comes to Chicago is going to be spectacular. Starting with the incredible venue—Navy Pier—this event is located where the action is, on amazing Lake Michigan in the heart of Chicago. Navy Pier is the No. 1 tourist location in the Midwest, with over 8 million visitors each year. It's the place where all of Chicagoland and tourists from around the world have come together since 1995 to enjoy the beauty and the thrills of a day on Lake Michigan. From rides to restaurants, exhibitions to entertainment, shopping to dining cruises and tour boats, Navy Pier has it all—in a location unlike any other!
In addition to the main event, Chicago’s Grand Prix weekend offers one of the largest schedules of public events ever brought to a Grand Prix—including a $5,000 TCGplayer Diamond Standard event on Sunday, as well as serious Legacy and Commander events. We have brought back the "Public Events Weekend Champion," with huge prizes across the public-event schedule. Twelve amazing vendors from all over will be on site to buy, sell and trade cards with you.
Grab your friends—this is a Grand Prix weekend you are not going to want to miss!
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Gatecrash in Montreal (February 2013).
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Participation Fee: $40
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, November 9: Registration 2 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Saturday, November 10: Registration 8:00 am - 9:30 a.m.
- Saturday, November 10: Tournament begins at 10 a.m.
- Sunday, November 11: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Chicago is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
- Deck lists are required.
- Players must use the same deck on Day 2 that they used on Day 1.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The Head Judges of this event are Jason Lemahieu (Level 5) and Chris Richter (Level 4), and are flanked by an all-star cast of great judges! For more information about judging, please click here or email email@example.com.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, November 9
Format: Modern, Standard, and Return to Ravnica Sealed Deck, 32-person single-elimination flights
Times: Modern 2 p.m. - 8 p.m., events start each time 32 players sign up
Sealed Deck 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. flights (registration opens 1 hour before each), maximum of 32 players in each
Standard 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. flights (registration opens 1 hour before each), maximum of 32 players in each
Cost: $20 Modern/Standard, $25 Sealed Deck
Planeswalker Points Multiplier: 3x
First place wins a three-round bye in Grand Prix Chicago, a free Sleep-in Special, and free VIP program entry. Additional prizes in the form of booster packs given to top finishers.
Other Grand Prix Chicago Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one three-round bye to Grand Prix Chicago.
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Winners of Grand Prix Chicago Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 1
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Got some byes? Want to get an extra couple hours of sleep instead of showing up at the venue early for the player meeting? Have we got a deal for you! If you have byes and register Friday night, you will be allowed to verify your byes during registration. Once confirmed, you will be eligible for the “Sleep-In Special" for an additional charge of $20. Also, your decklist MUST be given to our registration staff before the end of the player meeting on Saturday morning. You may give this to our staff when you register or at any time on Friday, you may send it with a friend, or you may email your list to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we do not have a list, you will receive the appropriate penalties.
You may ONLY skip the player meeting if you paid for the Sleep-In Special.
Required reporting time on Saturday, based on number of byes:
- 1 Bye: 11 a.m.
- 2 Byes: 12 p.m. (noon)
- 3 Byes: 1 p.m.
Pastimes VIP Program (Very Important Player)
Want to make the Grand Prix weekend a little easier? We have come up with a great way to make that happen. Consider it an upgrade…
This package includes:
- Sleep-in Special (Player must have earned the appropriate byes. If you do not have byes, no Sleep-in Special)
- Fixed seating through the first day. (To keep the integrity of the event, the software to run Magic Events may pair fixed-seated players together. If this is the case, fixed seating for one player may be broken for that round. There may be some restrictions in later rounds. We apologize for any inconvenience)
- 10 coupons for bottles of water through the weekend
- Artist signing service. We can bring cards to the artists for you. We will also be arranging a special time for VIPs to meet with the artists in a closed setting.
- Everyone should know you are a VIP, so you will also receive a special VIP playmat from the event.
- A special VIP line for registering for events throughout the weekend. No need to wait – you’re a VIP!
If you would like to sign up for the VIP Program, head straight to the VIP line to register. Cost of the VIP Program is $60 (this does not include your Grand Prix Entry).
Information about public events and more can be found at the Grand Prix Chicago page at Pastimes.net.
Steve Argyle, Mark Tedin, and rk post will be in attendance at Grand Prix Chicago. Artist schedule will be posted on site. Steve Argyle and Mark Tedin will be onsite Friday through Sunday, rk post will be on Saturday and Sunday only
Public transportation to Navy Pier from multiple places in the city is fairly easy. If you are coming from O'Hare or Midway airports, total public transportation time is about an hour and fifteen minutes.
Sheraton Hotel & Towers
301 East North Water Street
- There are limited rooms available and the deal ends Friday, November 2
- Hotel is located a couple blocks from Navy Pier. This is the closest hotel to Navy Pier, and free wifi will be provided at the hotel
- Price is $229 for two-person occupancy
Tournament Organizer: Pastimes
Web site: www.pastimes.net
600 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 595-PIER (7437)
(800) 595-PIER (7437)