Date: July 21-22, 2012
Friday, July 20: 16:00 – 22:00
Saturday, July 21: 08:00 – 09:00
Get your free promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
If you think a trip to Belgium automatically means a trip to Bruges or Brussels, think again. According to Lonely Planet, Ghent is Belgium’s best kept secret, and was one of the 10 to see locations for 2011. Besides that, Ghent is in pole position in the “Creative City Index”. Once medieval Europe’s second largest city, over the past century this unsung treasure of a town has developed a strong artistic bent, and is now one of the best places in Europe for culture. There are many fantastic museums and galleries, and more listed buildings than any other Belgian city.
Ghent’s architecture is elegant and imposing, with the Graslei harbor, medieval cathedrals and the Gravensteen castle. The city centre of Ghent is the largest car-free area in Belgium. And when you soaked up enough architecture, there are many welcoming bars and cafes along the banks of the canal.
During summer, Ghent hosts one of the biggest cultural festivities in Europe, the Ghent Festivities (Gentse Feesten). The city centre is one big festival with concerts and markets on every square, fireworks, artists, etc. It also covers the Gent Jazz Festival, World Youth Circus Festival, Polé Polé (world music), Ten Days Off (electronic dance music), and many more festivals.
Grand Prix Ghent takes place during the last weekend of these festivities. This means a great experience, but also means you’ll have to book your hotel as fast as you can!
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Return to Ravnica in Seattle.
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Participation Fee: €25
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, July 20: Registration 16:00 – 22:00
- Saturday, July 21: Registration 08:00 – 09:00
- Saturday, July 21: Tournament begins at 09:30
- Sunday, July 22: Day Two begins at 09:00
The main tournament at Grand Prix Ghent is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
- Decklists are required
- Each Player must use the same deck on Day 2 that he or she used on Day 1.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
Judges and Admin Staff
The Head Judges for this event will be Carlos Ho and Frank Wareman. The Regional Judge Coordinator is Richard Drijvers.
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, July 20
Format: Legacy and Sealed Deck 32-person single-elimination flights
Times: Sealed Deck 12:00 - 20:00; Legacy 12:00 - 21:00
Cost: €25 for Sealed Deck; €8 for Legacy
Planeswalker Points Multiplier: 3x
New tournaments will begin every time 32 players sign up. First place wins a three-round bye in Grand Prix Ghent and 10 booster packs. Other prizes determined by match wins: 4 wins gives you 10 boosters, 3 wins is 6 boosters, 2 wins is 4 boosters and 1 win is 2 boosters.
Other Grand Prix Ghent Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one three-round bye to Grand Prix Ghent.
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Winners of Grand Prix Ghent Trial tournaments
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,200 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a 2012-13 Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 600 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a 2012-13 Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 300 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012).
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
In addition to the main event, there will be Magic tournaments in a variety of formats running from Friday to Sunday. More Information on public events can be found here (PDF).
Karl Kopinski and Svetlin Velinov will be in attendance.
Other Hall Attractions
Magic Game Show
On Friday at 8 p.m. we start the Magic Game Show with our host Richard Hagon. It’s a Magic quiz you can participate with a team of 1 to 4 people. All you need to do is bring your friends! Registration is free and you can win some cool Magic goodies.
Win Cool Magic Prizes in the Raffle!
Enter in the free raffle and win Path of the Planeswalker graphic anthologies, laptop bags, foil boosters, free draft vouchers or other cool Magic prizes. All you need to do is fill out the raffle form and drop it in the box before 3 p.m. on Saturday or 3 p.m. on Sunday. Winners will be announced during the next break between rounds. Only one entry per person. When you have entered the raffle on Saturday, you are automatically included in the raffle on Sunday.
Duels of the Planeswalkers
For those that haven't tried it yet, Duels of the Planeswalkers Xbox LIVE® Arcade will be available to play throughout the event.
Although trading is both allowed and encouraged, please note that the following things are not permitted at this event:
- Buying/selling cards with anyone except for our authorized dealer(s)
- Soliciting to buy/sell cards elsewhere
- Advertising without receiving permission from Wizards of the Coast’s on-site Event Manager
- Utilizing an excessive amount of space when trading
- Using suitcases, handcarts, luggage carts, etc. for the purpose of transporting excessive amounts of trade stock.
Please note that failure to obey these rules may result in all involved parties being both removed from the event without refund, and banned from attending future events.
Arriving by Plane
Brussels Airport (Air France, Lufthansa, British Airways, KLM, Easy Jet ...) is situated in Zaventem, on the outskirts of Brussels. From Brussels Airport it is possible to travel to Ghent by train, every 15 minutes.
You can also fly to Brussels-Charleroi (Ryan Air, WizzAir, Jetairfly). From Charleroi Airport, you can take the bus to Brussels Zuid/Midi Station (a 45 minute ride) for only 13 EUR, which runs every 30 minutes.
Also from the Airports of Lille, Paris, and Amsterdam, you have direct trains to Ghent.
Arriving by Train / Tram
Ghent has direct rail connections to all major Belgian cities and Brussels Airport is only 40 minutes away by train. Ghent has two railway stations: Gent-Sint-Pieters and Gent-Dampoort. Most trains to Ghent arrive at Gent-Sint-Pieters. This station provides easy access to all parts of the city centre, as well as to Flanders Expo. Take the Tram line 1 (direction Flanders Expo) up to the final station at Flanders Expo, in front of Hall 3. It's only a 5 minutes drive.
www.nmbs.be and www.delijn.be for more information about Public Transport in and to Ghent.
Arriving by Car
Ghent (and Flanders Expo) is situated at the crossing of the E17 (A14) and E40 (A10) highways. When driving to Ghent, follow the signs "EXPO", and take exit "Sint-Denijs-Westrem / EXPO" at the E40. This exit is situated next to a sky craper and the IKEA, very recognizable. Once you took the exit, you can follow the parking signs of the expo. Park your car, and follow the signs to Hall 3 by foot.
Tournament Organizer: Wizards of the Coast and and Dazzle Events (Wouter Maenhaut)
Email: email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
Top 64 payout information: email@example.com