Date: June 7-9, 2013
The Swedish Exhibition and Conference Centre/Svenska Mássan
Click here for map
Registration: 420 kr
Friday, June 7: 14:00 – 22:00
Players who register by 5pm on Friday will receive a limited edition playmat (while stocks last).
Saturday, June 8: 08:00 – 09:00
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Welcome to the friendliest city in Sweden! The Swedes have voted Gothenburg as the friendliest city in Sweden and hopefully you will join us at the Grand Prix to find out why. Gothenburg offers a massive choice of first-class restaurants, cozy pubs, bargain shopping, theatres, museums and other attractions to suit all tastes. The relaxing and friendly atmosphere is just part of the deal as all the best entertainment in central Gothenburg is within easy walking distance of the Swedish Exhibition Centre!
But you'll be coming to Gothenburg to play Magic: The Gathering and we have an exciting schedule of events lined up for you. Day one of the main event will be Return to Ravnica Block Sealed Deck, one of the most exciting sealed blocks ever. However, the side event schedule will be jammed with other formats and exciting events to get your card playing juices flowing. And remember, if you register for the main event before 5 p.m. on Friday, you will receive one of the GP Gothenburg limited edition playmats (while stocks last).
|| Follow live streaming video coverage of Grand Prix Gothenburg at DailyMTG.com and Twitch.tv with Matej Zatlkaj, Simon Görtzen, Rich Hagon, and Steven Leeming. The live video stream will start at approximately 2 p.m. local time / Noon GMT / 8 a.m. ET Saturday.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to step up your game, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition over three days. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, the Grand Prix features a host of other activities, including side events and artist signings. Side-event tournaments begin Friday, with the Grand Prix main event running Saturday and Sunday. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
| Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Theros in Dublin (October 2013).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare, and all players with 39 or more match points who do not make Top 8 earn invitations.
All prizes in U.S. dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Format: Return to Ravnica Block Sealed Deck and Booster Draft
Participation Fee: 420 kr
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, June 7: Registration from 14:00 to 22:00 – Players who register by 5pm on Friday will receive a limited edition playmat (while stocks last).
- Saturday, June 8: Registration from 08:00 to 09:00
- Saturday June 8: Tournament begins at 09:15
- Sunday 9th June: Day Two begins at 08:00
The main tournament at Grand Prix Gothenburg is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian's signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
Day 1: Sealed Deck
Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft
- Sealed Deck Product: 2 Return to Ravnica boosters, 2 Gatecrash boosters, and 2 Dragon's Maze boosters for Day 1 sealed deck
- Booster Draft Product: 1 Return to Ravnica booster, 1 Gatecrash booster, and 1 Dragon's Maze booster for Day 2 and Top 8 Draft
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or less players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 64 players - whichever is greater - advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 128 players - whichever is greater - advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3.
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit.
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The Head Judge for Grand Prix Gothenburg is Jurgen Baert. Judges interested in working at this event should submit an application through the (Magic judge website ).
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day 1 and Professional on Day 2.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players are responsible for bringing their own method of tracking life totals, card sleeves, and appropriate counters or tokens.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, June 7
Format: Standard and Sealed Deck 32-Player Single Elimination Flights
Cost: Standard 90 kr, Sealed 270 kr
Times: Registration opens at midday and closes at 5 pm for Sealed and 6 pm for Standard
Planeswalker Points Multiplier: x3
Other Grand Prix Gothenburg Trials will be run throughout Europe in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one Third-Round bye to Grand Prix Gothenburg.
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Wednesday immediately before the Grand Prix. (For Grand Prix Gothenburg, the cutoff date will be June 5.) Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix. Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Winners of Grand Prix Gothenburg Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down. Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additional events and a full schedule can be found on the Gordian Knot Games. All side events will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Earn a valuable Third-Round bye by winning one of the Last-Chance Trials. Last-Chance Trials are 32-person single-elimination events, starting as soon as 32 players register. For more info, check out the Byes section of this page.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Magic Game Show
On Friday at 8pm we start the Magic Game Show starring Richard Hagon. Registration is free and you can win some cool Magic goodies. Teams can be comprised of between 1 and 4 people.
Enjoy a special discount on pick-up drafts on Saturday. Actual times and prices vary by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Super Sunday Series
Two Super Sunday Series tournaments will be held at each Grand Prix, one Sealed Deck and one Standard. The Top 4 players from each will proceed to play in the Super Sunday Series Final Booster Draft. The Top 4 players in Super Sunday Series Final will each be awarded a special Grand Prix messenger bag. The winner of the Super Sunday Series Final will earn an invitation and travel award for the Super Sunday Series Championship, to be held in January 2014 in Seattle with a prize purse of $20,000. The Super Sunday Series Championship experience also includes a tour of Wizards of the Coast, dinner with Wizards employees, and more. (Details about the Championship will be announced later in 2013.).
Mike Bierek and Mathias Kollros will be in attendance at Grand Prix Gothenburg.
Arriving by Plane
From Landvetter Airport
The airport bus stops at Korsvägen opposite the Swedish Exhibition & Congress Centre.
From Gothenburg City Airport (Säve Airport)
The airport bus stops at Nils Ericssonsplatsen/Central Station. You can take a tram from there, as described above.
Arriving by Train from Central Station
Take a number 2 or 4 tram from Drottningtorget. You can also take a number 5 tram from Brunnsparken. The trams stop at Korsvägen opposite the Swedish Exhibition & Congress Centre and Gothia Towers.
Arriving by Car
On arriving in Gothenburg, turn off at the "Mässan Scandinavium Liseberg" sign. Park in the multi-storey car park at Focus shopping centre, next to the Swedish Exhibition & Congress Centre. There is a foot bridge from here to the Swedish Exhibition & Congress Centre.
E6 motorway, southbound from Stockholm/Oslo or northbound from Malmö.
E20 motorway, southbound from Stockholm/Oslo or northbound from Malmö.
Highway 40 from Borås.
Highway 45 from Karlstad.
Tournament Organizer: Hasbro SA, represented by Glen White (Gordian Knot Games)
Email: email@example.com | Glen@GordianKnotGames.co.uk
Phone: +44207 193 6603
The Swedish Exhibition and Conference Centre/Svenska Mássan
Click here for map
Top 64 payout information: GPPrizes@GordianKnotGames.co.uk