Date: December 22-23, 2012
Format: Return to Ravnica Sealed Deck and Booster Draft
Indiana Convention Center & Lucas Oil Stadium
100 S. Capitol Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46225
Friday, December 21: 2 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Saturday, December 22: 7 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Easy to get to by car, train and plane and so central to so much of the United States, Indianapolis is often known as THE hub for gaming! This Grand Prix weekend will keep that tradition going with great fun for all, from the most casual player to the ultra competitive.
What better way to get in the holiday mood than joining hundreds of your new closest friends to play Magic? That’s right, just a few days before Christmas, a gathering is coming to Indianapolis—a gathering of Magic proportions! Grand Prix Indianapolis will be the feature event of this fun weekend and to make it even better, it is Return to Ravnica Sealed Deck. So don’t worry about what choosing what deck to play – you do not need to bring any Magic cards with you to play in the main event. Of course, if you're interested in the Commander, Legacy, Modern, and Standard side events you'll want to pack a deck or two!
There's a lot more to experience at Grand Prix Indianapolis:
- Take part in the Pastimes VIP program for extra-special treatment all weekend long.
- Play in a Grand Prix Trial on Friday for your chance at a third-round bye plus a VIP package.
- If you're new to the Grand Prix scene, be sure to come by one of our "Introduction to Grand Prix" sessions available Friday evening and Saturday morning.
- The Marriott directly across the street is offering a great hotel deal at $89 per night (details below).
- Fan-favorite artists Steve Argyle and rk post will be there to sign your cards!
- Great door prizes given out all weekend!
- Vendors from all over North America will be here for buying/selling/trading cards.
- Become a Weekend Champion for Commander and Side Events—you don’t even have to play in the GP to be crowned champion!
For more details on all of these amazing activities, visit pastimes.net. So join us for this incredible weekend and be ready for your holiday season to be Magic!
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
| Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Dragon's Maze in San Diego (May 2013).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare.
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Format: Return to Ravnica Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
Participation Fee: $40
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, December 21: Registration 2 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Saturday, December 22: Registration 7:00 am - 8:30 a.m.
- Saturday, December 22: Tournament begins at 9 a.m.
- Sunday, December 23: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Indianapolis is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
Day 1: Sealed Deck (6 packs of Return to Ravnica)
Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft (3 packs of Return to Ravnica)
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The Head Judge for Grand Prix Indianapolis is Chris Richter.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Winners of Grand Prix Indianapolis Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 4 or higher *
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 2 or 3*
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 1*
*For the 2013 Grand Prix season, Grand Prix byes earned through 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level will only be awarded at Grand Prix Indianapolis.
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
There will be an incredible mix of events occurring at this event starting on Friday, December 21 and continuing through Sunday, December 23. For a complete list of events, see www.pastimes.net.
Steve Argyle and rk post will be at Grand Prix Indianapolis.
Got some byes? Want to get an extra couple hours of sleep instead of showing up at the venue early for the player meeting? Have we got a deal for you! If you have byes and register Friday night, you will be allowed to verify your byes during registration. Once confirmed, you will be eligible for the “Sleep-In Special" for an additional charge of $20. As this is a Sealed Deck event, we will register your card pool for you. All you need to do is build your deck!
You may ONLY skip the player meeting if you paid for the Sleep-In Special.
Required reporting time on Saturday, based on number of byes:
- 1 Bye: 11 a.m.
- 2 Byes: 12 p.m. (noon)
- 3 Byes: 1 p.m.
Pastimes VIP Program (Very Important Player)
Want to make the Grand Prix weekend a little easier? We have come up with a great way to make that happen. Consider it an upgrade…
This package includes:
- A special VIP line for registering for events throughout the weekend. No need to wait – you’re a VIP!
- Sleep-in Special (Player must have earned the appropriate byes. If you do not have byes, no Sleep-in Special)
- Additional room to sit. Always wished you had a bit more space at your table? VIPs get this!
- Fixed seating through the first day. (To keep the integrity of the event, the software to run Magic Events may pair fixed-seated players together. If this is the case, fixed seating for one player may be broken for that round. There may be some restrictions in later rounds. We apologize for any inconvenience)
- Bottles of water through the weekend (10 bottles provided)
- Artist signing service. We can bring cards to the artists for you. We will also be arranging a special time for VIPs to meet with the artists in a closed setting.
- Everyone should know you are a VIP, so you will also receive a special VIP playmat from the event.
If you would like to sign up for the VIP Program, head straight to the VIP line to register. Cost of the VIP Program is $60 (this does not include your Grand Prix Entry).
Indianapolis Marriott Downtown
350 West Maryland Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46225 USA
The Marriott Downtown Indianapolis is a great hotel. Connected by skywalk to the Convention Center (where the Grand Prix is being held) and to City Center Mall, everything is convenient to this four-star hotel. The room rate $89 per night, and parking is an additional $15 for guests. The hotel also provides free in-room internet.
Reservations ($89 pricing good until December 17, 2012 or until full)
Ground Transportation from Indianapolis Airport
IND features two taxi stands located on the lower level of the terminal. To call a cab, locate the overhead taxi signs and push the call button. All cab fares to and from IND include a $15 minimum charge, regardless of distance. A cab ride to the Central Business District should take around 10-15 minutes.
By Trainbr/> Indianapolis can be accessed by train from various cities throughout the Midwest. Contact Amtrak at +1 800 872 7245 or www.amtrak.com for more information.
Indianapolis is served by a number of major Interstates as well as state highways. I-65 runs north-south from Chicago to Louisville while I-69 also runs north to Fort Wayne. I-70 runs through Indianapolis from St. Louis to the west to Columbus, OH just south of Indianapolis. I-74 runs east-west from Cincinnati to Danville, Il. I-465 runs around the city as well as connects all the major interstates and I-865 also serves as a connector for the major interstates. Six U.S. Highways also run through Indianapolis. They are: US 31, US 36, US 40, US 52, US 136 and US 421.
Indy Go (Indianapolis Public Transportation Corporation): +1 317 635 3344
Tournament Organizer: Pastimes
Web site: www.pastimes.net
Indiana Convention Center & Lucas Oil Stadium
100 S. Capitol Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46225