Date: March 3-4, 2012
Lille Grand Palais
1, Boulevard des Cités-Unies
Registration: € 25
Friday, March 2: 2 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Saturday, March 3: 8 a.m. - 9 a.m.
Get your free promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Situated near the border with Belgium, Lille is famous for its architecture and culture as well as being the birth place of Louis Pasteur. It location makes it the ideal place for a Grand Prix.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Avacyn Restored in Barcelona.
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Participation Fee: €25
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, March 2: Registration 2 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Saturday, March 3: Registration 8 a.m. - 9 a.m.
- Saturday, March 3: Tournament begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Sunday, March 4: Day Two begins at 8 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Lille is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
- Deck lists are required.
- Each Player must use the same deck on Day 2 that he or she used on Day 1.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
Judges and Admin Staff
The Head Judges for Grand Prix Lille are Carlos Ho and Kevin Deprez. Judges interested in working at this event should submit an application through dcifamily.org.
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, March 2
Format: Standard, 32-person single-elimination flights
Times: Noon - 6 p.m.
Cost: € 5
Planeswalker Points Multiplier: 3x
New tournaments will begin every time 32 players sign up. First place wins a three-round bye in Grand Prix Lille; additional prize support 2 boosters PP.
Other Grand Prix Lille Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one three-round bye to Grand Prix Lille.
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players ranked in the top 300 in the Planeswalker Points 2011 Competitive Points Season #3 (August 29, 2011 – December 25, 2011).
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,200 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012).
- Winners of Grand Prix Lille Trial tournaments.
- Members of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players ranked in the top 2,000 in the Planeswalker Points 2011 Competitive Points Season #3 (August 29, 2011 – December 25, 2011).
- Players who have accumulated at least 600 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012).
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- Players ranked in the top 15,000 in the Planeswalker Points 2011 Competitive Points Season #3 (August 29, 2011 – December 25, 2011).
- Players who have accumulated at least 300 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012).
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
More information about public events and artists can be found at www.gordianknotgames.com.
All Public Events at Grand Prix Lille will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Magic Game Show
On Friday at 8 p.m. we start the Magic Game Show with our host Richard Hagon. It’s a Magic quiz you can participate with a team of 1 to 4 people. All you need to do is bring your friends! Registration is free and you can win some cool Magic goodies.
Win Cool Magic Prizes in the Raffle!
Enter in the free raffle and win Path of the Planeswalker graphic anthologies, laptop bags, foil boosters, free draft vouchers or other cool Magic prizes. All you need to do is fill out the raffle form and drop it in the box before 3 p.m. on Saturday or 3 p.m. on Sunday. Winners will be announced during the next break between rounds. Only one entry per person. When you have entered the raffle on Saturday, you are automatically included in the raffle on Sunday.
Duels of the Planeswalkers
Get a sneak peek at the new downloadable content for Duels of the Planeswalkers Xbox LIVE® Arcade.
Although trading is both allowed and encouraged, please note that the following things are not permitted at this event:
- Buying/selling cards with anyone except for our authorized dealer(s)
- Soliciting to buy/sell cards elsewhere
- Advertising without receiving permission from Wizards of the Coast’s on-site Event Manager
- Utilizing an excessive amount of space when trading
- Using suitcases, handcarts, luggage carts, etc. for the purpose of transporting excessive amounts of trade stock.
Please note that failure to obey these rules may result in all involved parties being both removed from the event without refund, and banned from attending future events.
Lille Lesquin International Airport is 15 minutes from the city centre by car (11 km). There are Shuttle buses to take you to the city centre.
Line 2 St-Philibert C.H. Dron: Stations "Lille Grand Palais" or "City of Lille"
The two stations are 3 minutes walk from Lille Grand Palais.
Coming in from the A1 : Exit 2, then take exit 2A for Lille Grand Palais
Coming in from the A25 : take the Exit 1 towards Lille. Then take exit 2A for Lille Grand Palais
Tournament Organizer: Wizards of the Coast and Glen White (Gordian Knot Games)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Glen@GordianKnotGames.co.uk
Phone: +44207 193 6603
Lille Grand Palais
1, Boulevard des Cités-Unies
Top 64 payout information: Glen@GordianKnotGames.co.uk