Date: November 3-4, 2012
Cité Centre de Congrès Lyon
Forum 4-5-6 (Entrance B & C)
10 Quai Charles de Gaulle
Online registration until Wednesday October 31 at www.tournamentcenter.eu
Friday, November 2: 16:00 – 20:00
Saturday, November 3: 08:00 – 09:00
Get your free promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Lyon is the third largest city in France, and is the capital of the Rhone-Alpes region. It is known as a gastronomic and historical city with a vibrant cultural scene. Believe it or not, but it is also the birthplace of cinema!
You can visit the city the best on foot or by bike. A good point is that most attractions are free. Don’t miss the view from Fourvière basilica, the streets and traboules in Vieux Lyon and get a drink on Place Sathonay.
Attend Grand Prix Lyon, which takes place in the Cité Internationale, a unique and important urban project, where business and residence are mixed. It’s designed by the famous Italian architect Renzo Piano. Discover more about Lyon at Wikitravel.org.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Gatecrash in Montreal.
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Participation Fee: €25
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, November 2: Registration 16:00 – 20:00
- Saturday, November 3: Registration 08:00 – 09:00
- Saturday, November 3: Tournament begins at 09:30
- Sunday, November 4: Day Two begins at 09:00
The main tournament at Grand Prix Lyon is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed consent form to participate in Grand Prix Lisbon. Forms can be found here and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Consent forms will be collected during the player meeting on Saturday morning.
- Decklists are required
- Each Player must use the same deck on Day 2 that he or she used on Day 1.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
Judges and Admin Staff
The Head Judges for this event will be Gijsbert Hoogendijk and Frank Wareman. The Regional Coordinator is Alexis Rassel.
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, November 2
Times: 12:00 - 18:00
Planeswalker Points Multiplier: 3x
New tournaments will begin every time 32 players sign up. First place wins a three-round bye in Grand Prix Lyon. Other prizes to be announced.
Other Grand Prix Lyon Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one three-round bye to Grand Prix Lyon.
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Winners of Grand Prix Lyon Trial tournaments
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a 2012-13 Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a 2012-13 Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012).
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
In addition to the main event, there will be Magic tournaments in a variety of formats running from Friday to Sunday. More Information on public events can be found at www.tournamentcenter.eu.
Come and meet Martina Pilcerova & Slawomir Maniak!
Martina Pilcerova is a talented Slovak science fiction artist who won her first award at the age of six. After writing and drawing several comics, paintings, illustrations and movie projects, her interest turned to the gaming industry.
Slawomir Maniak was born in 1979 in Gdansk, Poland. About ten years ago, he started drawing and hasn't stopped since.
Arriving by Plane
Airport Lyon-Saint Exupéry (Air France, Iberia, British Airways, etc.) is located at 25 minutes from the city center of Lyon. By taxi, it will take you around 35 minutes (€40) to get to the city center or the venue. You can also take the Tram Express, which takes 30 minutes (€13).
Arriving by Train / Tram
You have several direct TGV trains between Lyon & Paris every hour. The Part-Dieu TGV Station is at 10 minutes from the venue, the Perrache Station at 15 minutes. More information can be found on www.sncf.com.
Arriving by Car
Right at the city centre’s north-east entrance, next to the motorway network and northern orbital road, take Porte de Saint Clair exit.
You can reach the venue with Trolleybus C1, C4 & C5 (bus stop “Cité Internationale – Centre de Congrès), or buses C2, C26 & °70. More information can be found on www.tcl.fr.
Tournament Organizer: Wizards of the Coast and and Dazzle Events (Wouter Maenhaut)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
Cité Centre de Congrès Lyon
Forum 4-5-6 (Entrance B & C)
10 Quai Charles de Gaulle
Top 64 payout information: firstname.lastname@example.org