Date: May 19-20, 2012
Format: Avacyn Restored Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
Hyllie Stationstorg 4
Registration: SEK 400
Friday, May 18: 14.00 – 22.30
Saturday, May 19: 08.00 – 09.00
Entrance to the hall is free.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Malmo is one of the great cities of Northern Europe. It is a stone's throw away from Copenhagen, Denmark and therefore benefits from the eclectic mix of people that a border town brings. It is a place where the future meets the past as the surging nightlife takes place among the historic buildings of the city.
Take part in Grand Prix Malmo for the debut of the Avacyn Restored set at the Grand Prix level!
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
|| Follow live streaming video coverage of Grand Prix Malmo at ggslive.com with Rashad Miller, Rich Hagon, Nate Price, Frank Karsten, and Tim Willoughby. The live video stream begins at approximately 8 a.m. ET on Saturday.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Return to Ravnica in Seattle.
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Format: Avacyn Restored Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
Participation Fee: SEK 400
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, May 18: Registration 14.00 – 22.00
- Saturday, May 19: Registration 08.00 – 09.00
- Saturday, May 19: Tournament begins at 09.30
- Sunday, May 20: Day Two begins at 08.00
The main tournament at Grand Prix Malmo is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
Day 1: Sealed Deck (6 packs of Avacyn Restored)
Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft (3 packs of Avacyn Restored)
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The Head Judges for this event will be Frank Wareman and Jurgen Baert.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, May 18
Format: Avacyn Restored Sealed Deck and Standard, 32-person single-elimination flights
Times: 12:00 - 18:00 (last Sealed Deck Trial begins at 16:00)
Cost: SEK 250 for Sealed Deck, SEK 100 for Standard
Planeswalker Points Multiplier: 3x
New tournaments will begin every time 32 players sign up. First place wins a three-round bye in Grand Prix Malmo. There will also be additional booster pack prizes.
Other Grand Prix Malmo Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one three-round bye to Grand Prix Malmo.
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Winners of Grand Prix Malmo Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,200 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 600 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 1
- Players who have accumulated at least 300 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
In addition to the main event, there will be Magic tournaments in a variety of formats running from Friday to Sunday. More Information on Public Events, Artists and other attractions will be published by Gordian Knot Games on their website.
Information coming soon.
Other Hall Attractions
Magic Game Show
On Friday at 8 p.m. we start the Magic Game Show with our host Richard Hagon. It’s a Magic quiz you can participate with a team of 1 to 4 people. All you need to do is bring your friends! Registration is free and you can win some cool Magic goodies.
Win Cool Magic Prizes in the Raffle!
Enter in the free raffle and win Path of the Planeswalker graphic anthologies, laptop bags, foil boosters, free draft vouchers or other cool Magic prizes. All you need to do is fill out the raffle form and drop it in the box before 3 p.m. on Saturday or 3 p.m. on Sunday. Winners will be announced during the next break between rounds. Only one entry per person. When you have entered the raffle on Saturday, you are automatically included in the raffle on Sunday.
Duels of the Planeswalkers
For those that haven't tried it yet, Duels of the Planeswalkers Xbox LIVE® Arcade will be available to play throughout the event.
Although trading is both allowed and encouraged, please note that the following things are not permitted at this event:
- Buying/selling cards with anyone except for our authorized dealer(s)
- Soliciting to buy/sell cards elsewhere
- Advertising without receiving permission from Wizards of the Coast’s on-site Event Manager
- Utilizing an excessive amount of space when trading
- Using suitcases, handcarts, luggage carts, etc. for the purpose of transporting excessive amounts of trade stock.
Please note that failure to obey these rules may result in all involved parties being both removed from the event without refund, and banned from attending future events.
Arriving by Plane
There are two airports in the area. Copenhagen Airport at Kastrup is only 12 minutes away by train, and the trains run every 20 minutes. Malmö Arena´s main entrance is conveniently situated approx. 80 metres from Hyllie Station.
A travel by taxi from Malmö Airport will take approx. 25 minutes. There are also transfer busses (Flygbussarna) from Malmö Airport; they stop at Triangeln Station, from where the journey to Hyllie can be continued by train.
Arriving by Public Transport
Since a new railway link was introduced in December 2010, a travel between Malmö Central Station and Hyllie, where Malmö Arena is situated, takes only 7-9 minutes. Trains go also between Hyllie and stations in Copenhagen, Denmark, including Copenhagen Airport and Copenhagen City.
Travel time between Copenhagen Airport and Hyllie Station is only 12 minutes. The trains run every 20 minutes. Trains from Malmö C departure every 10 minutes.
There are three types of trains that stop at Hyllie:
- Öresundstågen connect Scania and the Southern Sweden with Kastrup and Copenhagen area. Those trains use the City Tunnel and the Öresund Bridge (Citytunneln and Öresundsbron), and stops at Malmö C, Triangeln, and Hyllie.
- Pågatågen are local trains that come from the Northern Scania and also use the City Tunnel, making stop at every station.
- Long-distance trains: some of those with final destination Copenhagen or Kastrup stop even at Hyllie.
By City Bus
Malmö Arena can be reached by buses No. 5, 6 and 33 - they all stop on the west side of Stationstorget, just outside the train station Hyllie.
By Regional Bus
The Arena can be also reached by regional buses: No. 346 from Trelleborg, No. 300 from Falsterbo, and No. 170 from Lund. These buses stop at the south side of Stationstorg.
Arriving by Car
For traffic from Sweden, the best route to Malmö Arena is to take the Outer Ring Road (Yttrering) towards Copenhagen and turn off at the last exit in Sweden (signposted ‘Malmö V’), then follow the signs to Malmö Arena.
For traffic from Denmark, cross the Öresund Bridge link and continue along the main E65 motorway for about 5 km, then take the exit road marked Malmö Väst and follow the signs to Malmö Arena.
There are three car parks currently open in the vicinity of Malmö Arena: P-väster (entrance from Lorensborgsgatan), P-öster (entrance from Pildammsvägen), and P-norr (entrance from Annetorpsvägen). The largest car park—P-öster—is situated on the east side at Pildammsvägen, and for major concerts and events it is recommended that this car park be used. This will lessen the risk of traffic congestion when an event is over and many leave the area at the same time.
All car parks are served by parking ticket automats. Payment (in advance) is in Swedish coins or by credit card. The automats accept Visa, MasterCard, Eurocard, American Express, Hydro, OKQ8, Preem, Shell, Statoil and VolvoCard, as well as SMS Parking and Easy Parking. .
Tournament Organizer: Wizards of the Coast and Glen White (Gordian Knot Games)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Glen@GordianKnotGames.co.uk
Hyllie Stationstorg 4
Top 64 payout information: GPPrizes@GordianKnotGames.co.uk