IMPORTANT NOTE ON ATTENDANCE CAP: As preregistration numbers approach record-setting levels, StarCityGames has announced its intent to cap attendance at Grand Prix Richmond at 5,000 players. Details regarding this decision are available on starcitygames.com. Players interested in attending this event are encouraged to read the article on starcitygames.com and preregister as soon as possible.
Date: March 7-9, 2014
Greater Richmond Convention Center
403 N Third St
Richmond, VA 23219
Click here for map.
Entry into the Grand Prix event venue is free of charge.
Online Registration at gprichmond.com until Saturday, March 8th at 8 a.m.
On-site registration: Friday, March 7th from 12 p.m. – 11:59 p.m.
There will be no Saturday registration for this event.
Many Grand Prix offer additional services to participants, such as Sleep-In Specials and VIP packages. Sleep-In Specials allow players with byes to skip the player meeting on Saturday and arrive shortly before their first round begins. VIP packages provide various perks such as complimentary bottled water, special seating, and exclusive artist signings. Details of these services vary from event to event; please check the organizer's site for specifics.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
On March 7-9, StarCityGames.com proudly presents Grand Prix Richmond! Located at the intersections of I-95 and I-64, the city of Richmond is easily accessible from the entire East Coast. In addition, the Greater Richmond Convention Center is perfectly suited to accommodate the thousands of Magic: The Gathering fans predicted to descend upon Richmond for what is sure to be one of the biggest events of the year!
Everyone who preregisters for Grand Prix Richmond will be eligible to participate in a free Mini Master tournament to take place early Friday afternoon. All Grand Prix Richmond entrants will receive a free set of five exclusive Grand Prix Richmond tokens (while supplies last) featuring some of Magic: The Gathering's most popular personalities. You'll be able to get your tokens signed at a special Friday evening "Meet and Greet" session with all five featured personalities. Friday evening will also feature a free "Next Level Deck Building for Modern" instructional seminar and Q&A hosted by Patrick "The Innovator" Chapin to get you ready for the event.
If that's not enough, Sunday will feature two supersized Sunday Super Series events with incredible prizes! In order to celebrate StarCityGames.com's first Modern Grand Prix, Modern Masters booster packs will be awarded as bonus prizes in all side events all weekend long. Several top Magic card artists will be at the event to sign your cards, and more than a dozen of the world's premier vendors will be at the Grand Prix to fill your every Magic: The Gathering need.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to step up your game, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition over three days. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, the Grand Prix features a host of other activities, including side events and artist signings. Side-event tournaments begin Friday, with the Grand Prix main event running Saturday and Sunday. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Participants in Grand Prix Richmond get this Terese Nielsen original-art playmat (while supplies last).
Tournament Format and Schedule
| *If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200-2,399 participants, prize money will be paid out to 100th place. If Grand Prix attendance is 2,400 or more participants, prize money will be paid out to 150th place.
Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Journey into Nyx in Atlanta (May 2014).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare, and all players with 39 or more match points who do not make Top 8 earn invitations.
All prizes displayed in U.S. dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Participation Fee: $40
Registration and Schedule
- Online registration until Saturday, March 8 at 8 a.m. at gprichmond.com
- Friday, March 7: Registration 12 p.m. – 11:59 p.m.
- Saturday, March 8: Grand Prix Richmond begins at 10 a.m.
- Sunday, March 9: Main Event Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
Registration to the Grand Prix main event closes Friday night. There will be no Saturday registration.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Richmond is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed waiver and consent form to compete at Grand Prix Richmond. Forms can be downloaded here and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on these forms. Minors will not be able to register or play unless we receive a waiver signed by a parent or guardian. No exceptions.
- Visit this page to see a list of cards banned in Modern tournaments.
- Deck lists are required.
- Players must use the same deck on Day Two that they used on Day One.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- Day One will consist of a maximum of 9 Swiss rounds. Day Two will consist of 6 Swiss rounds and the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- If 799 or less players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 64 players – whichever is greater – advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 128 players – whichever is greater – advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day Two will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination playoff.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3.
- Top 8 playoff matches will have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Standings after the Swiss rounds will be used to determine final order in the standings for losing players in the quarterfinal and semifinal playoff rounds.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
For information on Judging, please visit the Grand Prix Richmond event on MagicJudges.org.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day One and Professional on Day Two.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players are responsible for bringing their own method of tracking life totals, card sleeves, and appropriate counters or tokens.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, March 7
Time: 12 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Format: Modern, Standard, or Sealed, 32-person single-elimination flights
Cost: $20 Constructed, $25 Sealed
1st: 18 booster packs, 2 byes in Grand Prix Richmond with VIP upgrade, 3 Modern Masters booster packs
2nd: 18 booster packs, 2 Modern Masters booster packs
3rd/4th: 9 booster packs, 1 Modern Masters booster packs
5th-8th: 6 booster packs
9th-16th: 3 booster packs
* Times are approximate and subject to change.
Other Grand Prix Richmond Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one Two-Round bye to Grand Prix Richmond.
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Wednesday immediately before the Grand Prix. (For Grand Prix Richmond, the cutoff date will be March 5th.) Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix. Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 12, 2013 – December 1, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 2, 2013 – March 9, 2014)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Winners of Grand Prix Richmond Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 12, 2013 – December 1, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 2, 2013 – March 9, 2014)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 12, 2013 – December 1, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 2, 2013 – March 9, 2014)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded two byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down. Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additional events and a full schedule can be found on the gprichmond.com website. All side events will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Earn a valuable Two-Round bye by winning one of the Last-Chance Trials. Last-Chance Trials are 32-person single-elimination events, starting as soon as 32 players register. For more info, check out the Byes section of this page.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Enjoy a special discount on pick-up drafts on Saturday. Actual times and prices vary by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Super Sunday Series
Qualifier tournaments for the Super Sunday Series will be held at each Grand Prix. The Top 8 players in the Super Sunday Series qualifier will each be awarded a commemorative Grand Prix water bottle. The winner of the Super Sunday Series qualifier will earn an invitation and travel award for the Super Sunday Series Championship 2015, expected to be held in February 2015 in Seattle. The Super Sunday Series Championship experience also includes a tour of Wizards of the Coast, dinner with Wizards employees, and more.
Matt Stewart, Noah Bradley, Cynthia Sheppard and Kristen Plescow will be at Grand Prix Richmond.
Red Roof Inn
4350 Commerce Rd
Richmond, VA 23234b
Distance from venue: 7 miles
Rates: Deluxe Double: $55.99/night; Double: $51.99/night.
Call 1-800-733-7663 and refer to the Block Code: B086STAR14 to book a reservation from the Star City Games block. Rate guaranteed until Friday, February 7, 2014.
Doubletree by Hilton
301 West Franklin St
Richmond, VA 23220
Distance from venue: .8 miles
Rates: King or Double: $119/night; Parking: $10/night.
Visit Doubletree reservations or call 1-800-222-TREE and identify yourself as part of the "StarCityGames" group, Group Code: "SCG". Rate guaranteed until Friday, February 14, 2014.
Richmond is served by Richmond International Airport (RIC) which is 15 minutes from the Convention Center by cab. The airport is served by AirTran, American, Delta, JetBlue, United and US Airways.
I-95 North Bound:
Exit #74C Medical College of Virginia stay to the left and take Broad Street/State Capitol/Coliseum exit. Go west on Broad Street to North 3rd Street. Turn right onto 3rd Street. Travel ¼ of a block, turn right into the Greater Richmond Convention Center’s Parking Deck.
I-95 South/64 East Bound:
Exit I-95 to the exit #75 I-64 East/3rd Street. Bear right for 3rd Street. (Do not go straight on the junction, it will take you to I-64 East). Travel ahead to 3rd and Marshall streets. The Greater Richmond Center Parking Deck will be on the left.
I-64 West Bound (from Airport):
Exit #190 5th Street exit. Proceed to 5th and Jackson streets. Turn right onto Jackson Street and proceed to 3rd Street. Turn left onto 3rd Street. Travel three blocks to 3rd and Marshall streets and turn left into the Greater Richmond Convention Center’s Parking Deck.
$6.00 upon entry
Tournament Organizer: StarCityGames.com
Phone Number: (540) 767-4263 x283
Greater Richmond Convention Center
403 N Third St
Richmond, VA 23219
Click here for map.