Date: January 17-19, 2014
Sacramento Convention Center
1400 J St,
Sacramento, CA 95814
Click here for map.
Entry into the Grand Prix event venue is free of charge.
Online Registration now available
On-site registration: Friday, January 17 from 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
There will be no on-site registration on Saturday.
Many Grand Prix offer additional services to participants, such as Sleep-In Specials and VIP packages. Sleep-In Specials allow players with byes to skip the player meeting on Saturday and arrive shortly before their first round begins. VIP packages provide various perks such as complimentary bottled water, special seating, and exclusive artist signings. Details of these services vary from event to event; please check the organizer's site for specifics.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
ChannelFireball.com and Cascade Games are proud to present Grand Prix Sacramento.
The weekend will feature special events for every kind of Magic enthusiast—from the casual player to the top-level professional. In addition, five Magic artists and more than a dozen of the largest vendors from around the world will be on hand to fill your every Magic need!
Located in the heart of the California State Capital, the Sacramento Convention Center is only a short drive from the Sacramento International Airport. The surrounding downtown area offers a wide variety of restaurants and shops to further enhance your weekend.
Never experienced a Grand Prix? No problem! There will be a free instructional seminar Friday afternoon with Team ChannelFireball members and newly inducted Magic Pro Tour Hall of Famers Luis Scott-Vargas and Ben Stark to prepare you for the main event. Team members will also be taking part in the Foiled Again Bounty Event on Friday to help you hone your skills. All this and more will make Sacramento the perfect event to experience your first Grand Prix!
Grand Prix Sacramento VIP Players, Last-Chance Grand Prix Trial players, and select Side Event winners will receive a limited edition “Dissolve” playmat featuring the art of Wesley Burt, who will be on site to sign and customize your playmat! Supplies are limited. Only 300 VIP packages will be sold. Please visit www.gpsacramento.com for more details.
|| Follow live streaming video coverage of Grand Prix Sacramento with Marshall Sutcliffe, Hall of Famer Ben Stark, and Matt Sperling at dailymtg.com and twitch.tv/channelfireball. The live video stream will start at approximately 1:30 p.m. local time / 4:30 p.m. ET. / 9:30 p.m. GMT.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to step up your game, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition over three days. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, the Grand Prix features a host of other activities, including side events and artist signings. Side-event tournaments begin Friday, with the Grand Prix main event running Saturday and Sunday. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
| *If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200-2,399 participants, prize money will be paid out to 100th place. If Grand Prix attendance is 2,400+ participants, prize money will be paid out to 150th place.
Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Journey into Nyx in Atlanta (May 2014).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare, and all players with 39 or more match points who do not make Top 8 earn invitations.
All prizes displayed in U.S. dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Format: Theros Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
Participation Fee: $40
Registration and Schedule
- Online registration at www.gpsacramento.com
- Friday, January 17: Registration 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Saturday, January 18 Grand Prix Sacramento begins at 9 a.m.
- Sunday, January 19: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
Registration to the Grand Prix main event closes Friday night. There will be no Saturday registration.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Sacramento is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed waiver and consent form to compete at Grand Prix Sacramento. Forms can be downloaded here and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on these forms. Minors will not be able to register or play unless we receive a waiver signed by a parent or guardian. No exceptions.
Theros Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
- Day One: Sealed Deck
- Day Two and Top 8 Playoff: Booster Draft
- Sealed Deck Product: 6 Theros boosters
- Booster Draft Product: 3 Theros boosters
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- Day One will consist of a maximum of 9 Swiss rounds. Day Two will consist of 6 Swiss rounds and the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- If 799 or less players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 64 players – whichever is greater – advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 128 players – whichever is greater – advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day Two will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3.
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
Information coming soon.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day One and Professional on Day Two.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players are responsible for bringing their own method of tracking life totals, card sleeves, and appropriate counters or tokens.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, January 17
Format: Theros Sealed Deck, Theros Booster Draft, Standard, Modern 32-person single-elimination flights
Cost: $30 (Sealed), $25 (Draft), $20 (Standard, Modern)
Times: Trials start at 12 p.m. and begin as soon as 32 players are enrolled. Last Trial will launch at 7 p.m.
1st: Two-Round bye for the Grand Prix and 36 packs, plus FREE VIP Registration upgrade.
2nd: 36 packs
3rd-4th: 18 packs
5th-8th: 10 packs
9th-16th: 4 packs
Other Grand Prix Sacramento Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one Two-Round bye to Grand Prix Sacramento.
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Wednesday immediately before the Grand Prix. (For Grand Prix Sacramento, the cutoff date will be January 15th.) Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix. Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 12, 2013 – December 1, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 2, 2013 – March 9, 2014)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Winners of Grand Prix Sacramento Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 12, 2013 – December 1, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 2, 2013 – March 9, 2014)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 12, 2013 – December 1, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 2, 2013 – March 9, 2014)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded two byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down. Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additional events and a full schedule can be found on the Grand Prix Sacramento website. All side events will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Earn a valuable Two-Round bye by winning one of the Last-Chance Trials. Last-Chance Trials are 32-person single-elimination events, starting as soon as 32 players register. For more info, check out the Byes section of this page.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Enjoy a special discount on pick-up drafts on Saturday. Actual times and prices vary by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Super Sunday Series
Qualifier tournaments for the Super Sunday Series will be held at each Grand Prix. The Top 8 players in the Super Sunday Series qualifier will each be awarded a commemorative Grand Prix water bottle. The winner of the Super Sunday Series qualifier will earn an invitation and travel award for the Super Sunday Series Championship 2015, expected to be held in February 2015 in Seattle. The Super Sunday Series Championship experience also includes a tour of Wizards of the Coast, dinner with Wizards employees, and more.
A star-studded roster of five famous Magic artists will be at Grand Prix Sacramento.
The featured hotel is the Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel, conveniently located across the street from the Sacramento Convention Center.
Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel
1230 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
The room block is limited and will close on January 6, 2014. We expect the room block to fill up before this date, so we strongly suggest booking your hotel accommodations as soon as possible.
interactive map and general directions from major highways.
Recommended Airport: Sacramento (SMF)
Airport within 100 miles: Oakland (OAK), San Francisco (SFO), San Jose (SJC)Public Transportation Directions from Sacramento International Airport.
Tournament Organizer: ChannelFireball (Jon Saso)
Phone Number: 408-727-7827
Sacramento Convention Center
1400 J St.
Sacramento, CA 95814
Click here for map.