Date: March 31-April 1, 2012
Salt Palace Convention Center
100 S. West Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Friday, March 30: Noon – 9 p.m.
Saturday, March 31: 8 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
Get your free promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
For the first time since 2005, Magic: The Gathering returns to Utah for Grand Prix Salt Lake City! Join us March 30-April 1 for a weekend packed full of Magic: The Gathering events at the Salt Palace Convention Center!
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Avacyn Restored in Barcelona.
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Participation Fee: $40
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, March 30: Registration Noon - 9 p.m.
- Saturday, March 31: Registration 8 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
- Saturday, March 31: Tournament begins at 10 a.m.
- Sunday, April 1: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Salt Lake City is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
- Deck lists are required.
- Each Player must use the same deck on Day 2 that he or she used on Day 1.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
Judges and Admin Staff
Applications to Judge at Grand Prix Salt Lake City will be accepted on DCIFamily.org. If you have questions about judging, please contact email@example.com.
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, March 31
Format: Standard, 32-person single-elimination flights
Times: Noon - 8 p.m.
Planeswalker Points Multiplier: 3x
New tournaments will begin every time 32 players sign up. First place wins a three-round bye in Grand Prix Salt Lake City. Other prizes at organizer's discretion.
Other Grand Prix Salt Lake City Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one three-round bye to Grand Prix Salt Lake City.
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players ranked in the top 300 in the Planeswalker Points 2011 Competitive Points Season #3 (August 29, 2011 – December 25, 2011).
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,200 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012).
- Winners of Grand Prix Salt Lake City Trial tournaments.
- Members of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players ranked in the top 2,000 in the Planeswalker Points 2011 Competitive Points Season #3 (August 29, 2011 – December 25, 2011).
- Players who have accumulated at least 600 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012).
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- Players ranked in the top 15,000 in the Planeswalker Points 2011 Competitive Points Season #3 (August 29, 2011 – December 25, 2011).
- Players who have accumulated at least 300 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012).
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Public Events will be available starting at noon Friday and at 8 a.m. Saturday and Sunday. Public events include Booster Drafts, Sealed Deck, Standard, Legacy, Modern, Commander, 2HG, Casual Formats, Swiss and single-elimination structures, and other special events. For a complete schedule of all public events, artists, and vendors please visit www.starcitygames.com/pages/events/.
Steve Argyle, rk post, and Jason Felix will be at the Grand Prix throughout the weekend. As the artist for some of the most iconic pieces in the current Magic: The Gathering universe, Steve Argyle has rapidly established himself as a fan favorite with cards such as Chandra Abalaze, Liliana of the Veil, and Admonition Angel. rk post is one of the royalty of Magic: The Gathering artists with a long history of producing striking images for tournament staple cards. His work adorns Avatar of Woe, Ichorid, Morphling, and Lightning Angel. Jason Felix brings a wonderfully twisted vision to his art for Lashwrithe, All is Dust, Ob Nixilis, the Fallen and many more!
Directions to the Salt Palace Convention Center can be found here. Check out www.visitsaltlake.com for more Salt Lake City travel information.
Tournament Organizer: Star City Games
Salt Palace Convention Center
100 S. West Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84101