Date: November 24-25, 2012
San Antonio Convention Center
200 E Market St
San Antonio, Texas 78205
Friday, November 23: 4 p.m.- 9 p.m.
Saturday, November 24: 8 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Get your turkey on, then join us in San Antonio for a weekend full of Magic! Grand Prix San Antonio will be held at the San Antonio Convention Center, right on the historic and beautiful Riverwalk in downtown San Antonio. That's walking distance to the Alamo! There is a block of rooms set aside at the Grand Hyatt right next door to the Convention Center to make your stay even more convenient.
The first 800 players registering will get a random color of a special deluxe padded deckbox, pictured below.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Gatecrash in Montreal (February 2013).
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Participation Fee: $40
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, November 23: Registration 4 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Saturday, November 24: Registration 8 am - 9:45 a.m.
- Saturday, November 24: Tournament begins at 10 a.m.
- Sunday, November 25: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix San Antonio is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
Judge application for this event is closed.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Winners of Grand Prix San Antonio Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 1
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Public events include big cash prize events as well as a silent auction benefiting Gamers Helping Gamers. A full schedule can be found at Legion Events' web site.
Legendary artist Richard Kane Ferguson and Magic newcomer Lucas Graciano will be in attendance at Grand Prix San Antonio.
|A player room block is available at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio. Visit this page for booking information.
Travel from the Airport to the Hyatt can be done by cab for approximately $25-$30 each way or by shuttle bus for $18 each way. Book online and secure a $17 one-way or $32 round trip price.
Public Transportation is also available. You can plan your trip at the San Antonio public transit site.
Tournament Organizer: Legion Events - Steve Port
Web site: legionevents.com
San Antonio Convention Center
200 E Market St
San Antonio, Texas 78205