Find a Trial Near You!
Find a Trial Near You!
Grand Prix San Diego Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers at least 1 three-round bye to Grand Prix San Diego.
Entry fee varies from location to location. Check with local organizer for specific information.
Extended or Sealed Deck with Booster Draft (or Sealed Deck) Top 8 Playoff (contact local store or check the tournament locator for the format that will be run in that store).
- If a Sealed Deck Top 8 is run instead of a draft, the Top 8 players will play with the same deck they played in the Swiss portion of the Tournament.
- For tournament dates September 29, 2011 and earlier: 6 Magic 2012 boosters per player for the Sealed Deck portion, 3 Magic 2012 boosters per player in the Top 8 draft. If a Sealed Deck Top 8 is run instead of a draft, players will play with the same deck they played in the Swiss rounds.
- For tournament dates September 29, 2011 and later: 6 Innistrad boosters per player for the Sealed Deck portion, 3 Innistrad boosters per player in the Top 8 draft. If a Sealed Deck Top 8 is run instead of a draft, players will play with the same deck they played in the Swiss rounds.
- Deck lists are required
- Swiss rounds - 50 minutes per round
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit
- Number of Swiss rounds based on attendance according to the following chart:
|9-16||4, Sealed – Top 8, Constructed – Top 4|
|17 - 32||5|
|33 - 64||6|
|65 - 128||7|
|129 - 226||8|
|227 - 409||9|
|410 or higher||10|
- All players may participate in all Swiss rounds.
- The top 8 players after the final Swiss round will advance to the top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit.
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 3x, 24K, REL Competitive
- All The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- This is a premier Magic tournament. Organizers and judges of a Grand Prix Trial are not permitted to play in the tournament.
- At least 1 third-round bye at Grand Prix San Diego is offered at each Trial, based on attendance:
|Attendance||3-Round Byes Awarded|
|8 - 32||1|
|33 - 64||2|
|65 - 128||4|
- Product prizes to be determined by the organizer.
- Players who want more specific local tournament or registration information should call their local contact phone number.
- Players who have general questions about the Magic: The Gathering trading card game, Wizards of the Coast LLC, the Wizards Play Network, or any Magic: The Gathering Organized Play program should call Wizards of the Coast at (800) 324-6496, or visit www.wizards.com/customerservice.