Date: March 2-4, 2012
Format: Innistrad/Dark Ascension Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
Greater Tacoma Convention & Trade Center
Tacoma, WA 98402
Friday, March 2: 2 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Saturday, March 3:: 7 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
Get a promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Grand Prix Seattle-Tacoma will be a fantastic opportunity for competitive and casual Magic players alike. The sealed format will allow you to build your collection and hone your card-selection and deck-construction skills as you compete against players from around the world. This event will be the first Grand Prix in the United States to offer Innistrad and Dark Ascension Limited play, and the Planeswalker Points modifier of 8x will send your points soaring.
In addition to the main event, there will be Magic tournaments in a variety of formats running from Friday to Sunday, all with a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x. Card dealers from around the country will be on hand to help you round out your unique collection. And because the Pacific Northwest is home to many of Magic’s best-known artists, we will have an amazing Artists Alley. Whether you come to win, see the spectacle, or just have a great time, there’s plenty for everyone.
Grand Prix Seattle-Tacoma is hosted by Cascade Games, LLC. Visit www.cascadegames.com for updates and more details about the weekend’s activities.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Avacyn Restored in Barcelona.
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Format: Innistrad Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
Participation Fee: $40
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, March 2: Registration Noon - 8 p.m.
- Saturday, March 3: Registration 7 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
- Saturday, March 3: Tournament begins at 9 a.m.
- Sunday, March 4: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Seattle-Tacoma is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
Day 1: Sealed Deck (3 packs of Innistrad and 3 packs of Dark Ascension )
Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft (1 pack of Dark Ascension, 2 packs of Innistrad drafted in that order)
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
The head judge for Grand Prix Seattle-Tacoma will be Chris Richter. If you wish to apply to judge at the Grand Prix, please register at dcifamily.org.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, March 2
Format: Innistrad/Dark Ascension Sealed Deck, 32-person single-elimination flights
Times: Noon - 8 p.m.
Planeswalker Points Multiplier: 3x
New tournaments will begin every time 32 players sign up. First place wins a three-round bye in Grand Prix Seattle-Tacoma and 18 Innistrad booster packs, second place wins 18 Innistrad booster packs, third and fourth place each win 9 Innistrad booster packs.
Other Grand Prix Seattle-Tacoma Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one three-round bye to Grand Prix Seattle-Tacoma.
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players ranked in the top 300 in the Planeswalker Points 2011 Competitive Points Season #3 (August 29, 2011 – December 25, 2011).
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,200 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012).
- Winners of Grand Prix Seattle Trial tournaments.
- Members of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players ranked in the top 2,000 in the Planeswalker Points 2011 Competitive Points Season #3 (August 29, 2011 – December 25, 2011).
- Players who have accumulated at least 600 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012).
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- Players ranked in the top 15,000 in the Planeswalker Points 2011 Competitive Points Season #3 (August 29, 2011 – December 25, 2011).
- Players who have accumulated at least 300 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012).
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
In addition to the main event, there will be Magic tournaments in a variety of formats running from Friday to Sunday. And because the Pacific Northwest is home to many of Magic’s best-known artists, we will have an amazing Artists Alley. Please visit www.cascadegames.com for information and updates on the weekend’s activities, including public events tournaments, attending artists and vendors and more.
All Public Events at Grand Prix Seattle-Tacoma will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Check out www.cascadegames.com for updates on the artists who will be in attendance at Grand Prix Seattle-Tacoma.
1320 Broadway Plaza
Tacoma, WA 98402
Call 888-862-3255 by February 9 and ask for the Magic Grand Prix group discount. ($119/night for single or double occupancy room plus free wifi.) The hotel is located directly across the street from the Convention Center.
Travel by Car
The event site is located 19 miles south of Seattle/Tacoma airport.
From I-5 Southbound/Northbound:
At exit 133 (City Center Exit) turn RIGHT onto the ramp towards I-705/ City Center.
Keep LEFT to stay on ramp towards I-705/ City Center.
Turn LEFT onto ramp towards A Street/ City Center.
Keep LEFT to stay on ramp towards S. 15th Street/ Pacific Avenue.
Follow S. 15th Street two blocks, the Grand Prix will be on your left at 1500 Broadway.
Parking on site for a rate of $10 a day.
Free parking is available at the Tacoma Dome light rail station. Just take the light rail (also free) to the venue.
Travel by Plane
The Seattle/Tacoma (SEATAC) airport is just 19 miles from Grand Prix Seattle/Tacoma. Cabs and rental cars are available at the airport. Public transportation is offered by Sound Transit. Take bus 574 southbound from SEATAC airport to the Tacoma Dome stop (on Puyallup Avenue). From there, walk or take elevator up to the Tacoma Dome Station light rail stop at the far side of the Tacoma Dome parking structure (25th Street). Ride light rail (free) to Convention Center stop (corner of Commerce and 25th). Transit maps and schedules at www.soundtransit.org.
Travel by Train
The Tacoma Amtrak station is just 2 miles from the Greater Tacoma Convention Center. From the train station, cross Puyallup Avenue to the Tacoma Dome Station light rail stop at 25th Street. Ride light rail (free) to Convention Center stop (corner of Commerce and 25th).
Public Transport to Venue
The Convention Center is on Tacoma’s free light rail. Information on mass transit in the Puget Sound region is available at www.soundtransit.org.
Things to See and Do
The Tacoma Convention Center is near a wide variety of restaurants and entertainment options. The free Tacoma light rail stops next to the venue and is a great way to explore area businesses.
Tournament Organizer: Cascade Games
Phone: (608) 616-0841
Greater Tacoma Convention & Trade Center
Tacoma, WA 98402