Date: November 8-10, 2013
Avda de las Ferias s / n
46035 VALENCIA (SPAIN)
Click here for map.
Friday, November 8: 14:00 to 22:00
Saturday, November 9: 8:00 to 9:00
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Valencia is one of the most exciting cities on the Mediterranean and an amazing backdrop for a Grand Prix. There are plenty of clubs and bars that you can visit should you want a break from flopping cards plus the Spanish climate, hospitality and, of course, food. But we hope that there will be enough inside the event hall to keep you entertained. Not only will you be able to win great prizes but you'll also have a chance to win a slot in the coveted Super Sunday Series.
|| Follow live streaming video coverage of Grand Prix Valencia at DailyMTG.com and Twitch.tv with Matej Zatlkaj, Simon Görtzen, Rich Hagon, and Steven Leeming. The live video stream will start at approximately 2:30 p.m. local time / 12:30 p.m. GMT / 8:30 a.m. ET.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including side events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
| Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Born of the Gods in Valencia (February 2014).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare, and all players with 39 or more match points who do not make Top 8 earn invitations.
All prizes displayed in U.S. dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Format: Theros Sealed Deck and Booster Draft
Participation Fee: €50
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, November 8: Registration from 14:00 to 22:00
- Saturday, November 9: Registration from 08:00 to 09:00
- Saturday, November 9: Grand Prix Valencia begins at 09:30
- Sunday, November 10: Day Two begins at 09:00
The main tournament at Grand Prix Valencia is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity and consent form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage and be eligible to receive prizes. Forms can be downloaded here (100k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian's signature on this form. Consent forms are usually collected during registration (contact the event organizer for details).
Day 1: Sealed Deck
Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft
- Sealed Deck Product: 6 Theros boosters for Day 1 sealed deck
- Booster Draft Product: 3 Theros boosters for Day 2 and Top 8 Draft
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or less players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 64 players – whichever is greater – advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 128 players – whichever is greater – advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3.
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit.
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The Head Judges for Grand Prix are Cristiana Dionisio and Jason Lemahieu. Judges interested in working at this event should submit an application through the Magic judge website.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day 1 and Professional on Day 2.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players are responsible for bringing their own method of tracking life totals, card sleeves, and appropriate counters or tokens.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, November 8
Format: Standard and Sealed Deck 32-Player Single Elimination Flights
Cost: €12 (Standard) or €32 (Sealed Deck)
Times: Starts at 12:00
Planeswalker Points Multiplier: x3
Other Grand Prix Valencia Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one second-round bye to Grand Prix Valencia.
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Wednesday immediately before the Grand Prix. (For Grand Prix Valencia, the cutoff date will be November 6.) Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix. Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 12, 2013 – December 1, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Winners of Grand Prix Valencia Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 12, 2013 – December 1, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 12, 2013 – December 1, 2013)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded 2 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down. Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additional events and a full schedule can be found on the Gordian Knot Games website. All side events will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Duels of the Planeswalkers
For those that haven't tried it yet, Duels of the Planeswalkers Xbox LIVE® Arcade will be available to play throughout the event.
Earn a valuable Two-Round bye by winning one of the Last-Chance Trials. Last-Chance Trials are 32-person single-elimination events, starting as soon as 32 players register. For more info, check out the Byes section of this page.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Magic Game Show
On Friday at 8pm we start the Magic Game Show starring Richard Hagon. Registration is free and you can win some cool Magic goodies. Teams can be comprised of between 1 and 4 people.
Enjoy a special discount on pick-up drafts on Saturday. Actual times and prices vary by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Super Sunday Series
Qualifier tournaments for the Super Sunday Series will be held at each Grand Prix. The Top 4 players in the Super Sunday Series qualifier will each be awarded a special Grand Prix messenger bag. The winner of the Super Sunday Series qualifier will earn an invitation and travel award for the Super Sunday Series Championship, to be held in February 2014 in Seattle with a prize purse of $20,000. The Super Sunday Series Championship experience also includes a tour of Wizards of the Coast, dinner with Wizards employees, and more. See the Sunday Series info page for more details.
Igor Kieryluk and Karl Kopinski will be attending Grand Prix Valencia.
Arriving by Plane
VALENCIA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT: +34 961 598 500
Distance from the airport to the city centre: 8 Km
Approximate cost of an Airport-Valencia city centre taxi: 20 Euros
Arriving by Train
Valencia is connected daily with Barcelona through Alaris, Euromed and Talgo in less than four hours.
The new train station Joaquin Sorolla (long distance) is 8.5 km. (17 minutes approx) drive from the exhibition center and Valencia Nord station is 7.4 km. (15 minutes approx).
Both stations have a taxi stand and are connected together with a free bus service.
You may want to get the VLC Tourist Card at the Tourist Info office at the airport and enjoy unlimited, free public transport around the city (including the Valencia-Airport route). It also offers great discounts on museums, leisure activities, shopping and restaurants. More info at www.valenciatouristcard.com
Tournament Organizer: Glen White (Gordian Knot Games)
Phone: +44207 193 6603
Avda de las Ferias s / n
46035 Valencia (Spain)
Click here for map.
Top 64 payout information: GPPrizes@GordianKnotGames.co.uk