Hawaii Convention Center
February 10-12, 2012
The first Pro Tour of 2012 comes to Honolulu and features the debut of the new Dark Ascension set on the premier-play stage. The top players from around the world will be in Hawaii to battle for fame, glory, and cash prizes in the Standard Constructed and Innistrad/Dark Ascension Booster Draft formats. Tune in for the expanded three-day live webcast starting Friday morning for complete access to the Pro Tour: live match coverage, deck techs, behind-the-scenes interviews with R&D members, and much more!
The live video webcast for Pro Tour Dark Ascension begins Friday morning and runs all three days, with Brian David-Marshall, Rich Hagon, Sheldon Menery, and Rashad Miller calling the action. The live video stream can be found at www.wizards.com/webcast. Check out the schedule below to find the start time in your area (start times approximate):
|Rio de Janeiro
||12:45 a.m. Mon.
||4 a.m. Sat.
||5 a.m. Sun.
||5:45 a.m. Mon.
||6 a.m. Sat.
||7 a.m. Sun.
||7:45 a.m. Mon.
More Event Coverage
In addition to the live video stream, text coverage will be available at DailyMTG.com starting Friday morning, live chat sessions with players, R&D staff, and coverage reporters will take place at various times during the three days on CoverItLive, and video content will be posted to YouTube on the wizardsmtg channel.
The official Twitter hashtag for Pro Tour Dark Ascension is #ptdka.
The Pro Tour Social Network
We know you’re a fan of Magic: The Gathering; now you can make it official! Check out Magic on Facebook: become a fan, find out about new updates to Magic and the Pro Tour, view exclusive photos, share your story with the community, and more!
Pro Tour Dark Ascension also marks the debut of the Fantasy Pro Tour on Facebook. Pick your roster of cards by type and earn points based on how many times those cards show up in the top-performing decks. Compete against your friends to see who can best predict the Standard metagame!
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to set up a media credential for Pro Tour Dark Ascension. Wizards of the Coast asks that all media requests be submitted by January 27 (two weeks prior to the event). Requests made after that date, including requests made on-site, may be denied.
Media check-in will take place Thursday, February 9 from 3 p.m. - 8 p.m. at the Hawaii Convention Center, Ballroom A&B. If you cannot attend the check-in period, please make arrangements via the email@example.com email address prior to the event.
|Top 25 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Avacyn Restored. All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Pro Tour Dark Ascension is a three-day invitation-only Standard Constructed and Innistrad / Dark Ascension Booster Draft format event with a Standard Top 8.
Tournament Hall Hours
Hawaii Convention Center
1801 Kalakaua Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii 96815
The tournament hall is closed to the public. Each Pro Tour participant is allowed one guest. Security wristbands will be distributed at the entrance to the hall on Thursday during registration and Friday morning. For Pro Tour participants and their guests, the hall will be open at these times:
Thursday: 3 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Sunday: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Single-card vendors will be on-site starting Thursday.
The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and Infraction & Penalty Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document.
Standard Constructed and Booster Draft
- 1 Dark Ascension and 2 Innistrad boosters will be used for drafting
- Deck lists are required
- Check Magic Tournament Rules for Standard and Booster Draft format rules.
Pro Tour Registration
Time: 3 p.m. - 8 p.m., Thursday, February 9
Location: Hawaii Convention Center
1801 Kalakaua Avenue
Honolulu, Hawai’i 96815
Players must have a signed waiver and consent form to compete at Pro Tour Dark Ascension. Forms can be downloaded at www.wizards.com/protour and will be available onsite.
Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on these forms. Minors will not be able to register or play unless we receive a waiver signed by a parent or guardian. No exceptions!
Bring these forms with you to registration. We will make forms available for competitors at registration, if necessary.
To register, all participants must present one of the following forms of identification:
- a driver’s license, or
- a passport, or
- a copy of a birth certificate and photo IDs (school IDs are acceptable).
We encourage players to attend mandatory registration on Thursday. However we understand that delays might cause players to miss this and we have a registration on Friday morning between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. Players at late registration do not always receive the same gifts as those at mandatory registration.
Players not registered by 8:30 a.m. on February 10, 2012 may be denied entry to the Pro Tour.
If you anticipate any difficulty registering during the official registration hours, please contact Scott Larabee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Day 1 will consist of 5 rounds of Standard followed by 3 rounds of Booster Draft
- Day 2 will consist of 3 rounds of Booster Draft followed by 5 rounds of Standard
- 16 Swiss Rounds total, 55 minutes per round
- When time is called, the active player will finish the turn and five additional turns will be taken
- Stalling and slow play rules will be strictly enforced during the tournament.
- All players may participate in all 8 Swiss rounds of Friday's competition.
- Players with 15 or more match points after round 8 will advance to Saturday's competition.
- The top 8 players after round 16 will advance to Sunday’s Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 will be Standard format
- Top 8 matches will be best 3 of 5
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- While there are no time limits in the Top 8, players are expected to play at a reasonable pace and finish their matches within 90 minutes.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game.)
- Planeswalker Points Multiplier 12x (Lifetime Total only), REL: Professional
- Players are required to use the same Standard deck for Day 1, Day 2, and the Top 8
- Players are responsible for knowing all DCI rules and high-level tournament rules.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
3 p.m. - 8 p.m.: Player registration
8:55 a.m.: Seating for player meeting posted.
9 a.m.: Mandatory Player meeting begins. Decklists are collected from player tables by judges.
9:15 a.m.: Day 1 play begins.
8:55 a.m.: Day 2 pairings posted.
9 a.m.: Day 2 play begins.
10:30 a.m.: Finals players check in at the Top 8 area.
11 a.m.: Single-elimination matches begin.
For hotel and travel information, visit www.gohawaii.com/oahu.