Pro Tour Theros will take place October 11-13, 2013 in Dublin, Ireland.
Qualifiers for Pro Tour Theros start on March 23, 2013 and run until August 11, 2013. Pro Tour Qualifiers offer a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 5x to all players and a bonus of 1,000 Planeswalker Points to the winner, making them prime opportunities to add to your Planeswalker Point totals. The Top 8 finishing players will each receive an exclusive Pro Tour Qualifier Top 8 playmat.
Magic Online Pro Tour Qualifiers will be run as well, so if you can't make it to an event near you, there's still a chance for you to qualify! Complete information regarding Pro Tour Qualifiers on Magic Online can be found here
If you have won a Qualifier for Pro Tour Theros, information about your travel award can be found here.
Tell us about your PTQ!
Your input is critical to help us improve the quality of our events! We therefore want to give you the opportunity to let us know about your Pro Tour Qualifier experience. Please click here and provide us with the date and location of the event(s) you participated in and a brief description of your experience.
Your feedback is very valuable, thank you in advance for your time!
All players are eligible to play in qualifiers for Pro Tour Theros except the following:
- Players who have won a qualifier for Pro Tour Theros (including Magic Online Qualifiers for Pro Tour Theros)
- Players that finished in the top 4 of an individual-format Grand Prix with an attendance of 1,199 or fewer participants that offers invitations to Pro Tour Theros
- Players that finished in the top 8 of an individual-format Grand Prix with an attendance of 1,200 or more participants that offers invitations to Pro Tour Theros
- Players that are members of a top 2 finishing team in a team-format Grand Prix with an attendance of 1,199 or fewer participants that offers invitations to Pro Tour Theros
- Players that are members of a top 4 finishing team in a team-format Grand Prix with an attendance of 1,200 or more participants that offers invitations to Pro Tour Theros
- Players who finished in the top 25 of Pro Tour Dragon's Maze
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club Platinum level (as of the date of the Pro Tour Qualifier). Exception is made for any qualifier which awards an invitation to a Pro Tour in a future Professional Points Season. In this case only players whose current Professional Points Season point total is currently less than the Platinum level requirement are eligible to participate in a Pro Tour Qualifier.
Complete information about invitations to Pro Tours can be found in the Magic: The Gathering Premier Invitation Policy .
The structure for qualifier tournaments feeding Pro Tour Theros will be modified Swiss-style, with top players after the Swiss rounds playing in a single-elimination playoff for prizes and invitation(s).
- Swiss rounds will each be 50 minutes in length
- Single-elimination matches will have no time limit.
- Number of Swiss rounds based on attendance according to the following chart:
|Attendance|| Number of |
|8||3 (single elimination)||None|
|17 - 32||5||Top 8|
|33 - 64||6||Top 8|
|65 - 128||7||Top 8|
|129 - 226||8||Top 8|
|227 - 409||9||Top 8|
|410 or higher||10||Top 8|
- All players may participate in all Swiss rounds.
- The top players after the final Swiss round will advance to the single-elimination playoff. The number of players that advanced to the playoff is based on the number of players in the event (see chart above)
- Playoff matches will be best 2 of 3
- Playoff matches will be single-elimination
- While there are no time limits in the playoff rounds, players are expected to play at a reasonable pace and finish their matches within 60 minutes
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each playoff match, the player who finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each playoff match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
Entry fee varies from location to location. Check with local organizer for specific information.
- The winner of each event will receive a bonus of 1,000 Planeswalker Points and an invitation and travel award* to Pro Tour Theros
- Top 8 playoff participants receive an exclusive Pro Tour Qualifier Top 8 playmat
- Other prizes are determined by the organizer of each event. Contact the organizer for additional details.
Top 8 playoff participants receive an exclusive PTQ-themed playmat.
Players who have general questions about the Magic: The Gathering trading card game, Wizards of the Coast LLC, the Wizards Play Network, or any Magic: The Gathering Organized Play program should contact Wizards of the Coast as follows:
The players eligible to receive a travel award will receive instructions from Wizards of the Coast regarding whom they must contact and the deadline by which they must arrange their travel awards. Wizards of the Coast will not refund travel made outside this service. Wizards of the Coast reserves the right to award a cash equivalent award in lieu of any travel award in its sole discretion.
All travel itineraries must be from the international airport nearest the player's home and to the host city of the Pro Tour, and must include all the dates of that event. No award will be substituted if member is unable to participate. All other expenses are the responsibility of the member and may include, without limitation, accommodations, ground transportation, taxes, itinerary change fees, passport and visa fees.
This award must be redeemed through member's arrangement of travel itinerary no later than (30) days before departure. Failure to complete travel arrangements as directed by Wizards of the Coast prior to this deadline will result in forfeiture of the award. Every member receiving a travel award must provide to Wizards of the Coast an executed liability release, the appropriate US taxation form (W9 or W8) (or have one on file), current contact information (https://webapp.wizards.com/login.aspx), proof of ID and passport (when required by international destination). In all cases, all such documentation must be provided to Wizards of the Coast, or previously on file, at least thirty (30) days before departure. Failure to timely provide such documentation will result in forfeiture of the award.
Players under the age of eighteen (18) at the time of the Pro Tour will receive a cash equivalent award in lieu of expenses, paid air ticket, and/or hotel accommodations. Such player must still attend, compete, and be listed in the finish of the tournament or forfeit this award.