In Wizards of the Coast’s continuing efforts to build strong Magic: The Gathering player communities in hobby stores, we are changing how we are running United States National Qualifiers in 2011.
On April 16, 2011, “National Qualifier – Regional” tournaments will be held in 17 cities in the United States. Each of these tournaments will offer 8 invitations to the 2011 United States National Championship. These tournaments will be run by Professional Tournament Organizers.
On April 23-24 and April 30-May 1, 2011, select WPN Advanced-level stores in the United States will run “National Qualifier – WPN” tournaments. Each of these tournaments will offer 1 invitation to the 2011 United States National Championship.
The 2011 U.S. National Championship will take place August 5-7, 2011 in Indianapolis, Indiana at Gen Con© Indy. Each player qualified to play in the 2011 U.S. National Championship (except those qualifying though “Last Chance Qualifiers” or “Grinders” on site at Gen Con) will receive a 4-day pass to Gen Con© Indy.
More information about the 2011 U.S. National Championship will be available in the coming months. All information about U.S. Nationals will be posted in the 2011 U.S. Nationals Fact Sheet located on the 2011 National Championships information page.
The following applies to all 2011 United States National Qualifiers:
Find a National Qualifier Near You!
Find a National Qualifier Near You!
Entry fee varies from location to location. Check with the organizer of each event for specific information.
- Deck lists are required
- 50 minutes per round
- Number of Swiss rounds based on attendance according to the following chart:
Playoff (8 Invitation)
Playoff (1 Invitation)
||None (Single Elimination)
||None (run Single-Elimination)
|17 - 32
|33 - 64
|65 - 128
|129 - 226
|227 - 409
|410 or higher
- All players may participate in all Swiss rounds
- If a National Qualifier offers 1 to U.S. Nationals, the top 8 players after the final Swiss round will advance to the top 8 single-elimination finals.
- If a National Qualifier offers 8 invitations to U.S. Nationals, no top 8 single-elimination will be run. Prizes and invitations will be awarded on Swiss standings only.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit. Players are expected to play at a reasonable pace and finish their matches within 50 minutes
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings
- 32K, REL Competitive
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center
- Organizers and judges of National Qualifier tournaments are not permitted to play in the qualifiers.
Eligibility and Invitations
- Players may participate in any U.S. National Qualifier subject to the eligibility requirements in the Magic: The Gathering Premier Event Invitation Policy (located in the Magic Document Center)
- If a player already holds an invitation to U.S. Nationals 2011, that player may not participate in U.S. National Qualifier 2011 Tournaments (players may have earned invitations through performance at 2010 U.S. Nationals, appropriate Pro Tour Players Club level, winning a previous 2011 U.S. National Qualifier, or DCI Rating).
- Invitation(s) to the 2011 U.S. National Championship.
- Events held on April 16, 2011 will offer 8 invitations to the U.S. National Championship Tournament.
- Events held on April 23, 24, 30, or May 1, 2011 will offer 1 invitation to the U.S. National Championship Tournament.
- Other prizes as determined by the organizer
- Players who want more specific local tournament or registration information should contact their local organizer.
- Players who have general questions about the Magic: The Gathering trading card game, Wizards of the Coast LLC, the Wizards Play Network, or any Magic: The Gathering Organized Play program should call Wizards of the Coast at (800) 324-6496, or visit www.wizards.com/customerservice.